Is Anaconda an asset?

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

nobicycle
Simple Hen

Is Anaconda an asset?

Post by nobicycle » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:03

Hi,

This is no complaint - I think Sabayon is the best distro and I always stick with it despite the recurrent install problems. I read recently a review of Sabayon that mentioned "but Sabayon has a reputation as difficult to install" (Or similar phrase).

The Anaconda install presentation is slick, but I wonder whether Anaconda puts off users from ever completing a Sabayon install. See below:

Retaining Data
============
The biggest issue is that most users are installing on an existing system with at least one partition they wish to retain, most likely mounting it as "home".
In my experience this cannot be done: (1)With Text mode install - the complete disk /previous partitions must be formatted.
(2) In Graphical mode install, any data partition must be formatted.

Install Issues
==========
During a recent install of Mate 13.04
  • LiveCD default boot does not work because of video issues.
    Safe Mode boots up, but on clicking the Install icon I obtain "No volume groups" and a freeze. Same result executing "liveinst" from a terminal.
    Installation Option - works but I have no mouse. Keyboard only. The bootup stage of "Checking if ZFS tools present" takes an eternity. Most users would assume something was wrong and stop the install.
In summary - only the Installation option works for install but without mouse. Text Mode, Safe Mode and LiveCD Mode do not work for the reasons given above. None of them allow retention of the existing home partition.

My machine is :uname -a Linux tower 3.8.0-sabayon #1 SMP Fri Mar 29 13:54:29 UTC 2013 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

To cap all of this, after installing and hacking to get back my old home directory, updating sabayonlinux.org and sabayon-limbo repo software, everything was working fine. But on reboot the system fails early with "Intel powerclamp does not run on family 15 model 3. Recovery mode was impossible because it also gave the above error. (I realise this is probably a limbo issue and "acceptable")

The biggest issue is retaining data that most beginner users will not be able to solve.

elias-train
Baby Hen

Re: Is Anaconda an asset?

Post by elias-train » Mon Aug 26, 2013 20:59

A week ago I'm trying to install properly sabayon_13.08_x.86_gnome on an MSI VR220 (T3200 Intel G45 3GB ram) using the all HDD (new installation for a friend). Many problems. At the beginning the keybord (en-keyboard on a system in my native GREEK language) -solved (googling + gnome help) but NO SHORTCUT (for the momment) for keyboard change. Second & crucial problem NO WEB CAMERA (but I can see my self as I'm typping now from CHEESE). As I was updating/upgrating after installation I see some comments about "vboxvideo" that I have to add manually to :
1 /etc/conf.d/modules
2 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
probably as root & finally to : add the "user" to plugdev grup.
I opened the terminal $ su -> pass -> # gedit etc/..... gedit has opened & after the first try to save the change to
Driver "dummy :dummy" -> "vboxvideo" gedit refuses to accept it (locked) :?
Till now I didn't have any succes.
Anaconda an asset? I don't know but I don't wear shoes that doesn't feet my foot

nobicycle
Simple Hen

Re: Is Anaconda an asset?

Post by nobicycle » Fri Sep 06, 2013 13:47

Well its just happened to me with 13.08 MATE on two separate and different hardware systems.
Message after install and reboot:
"mdadm: No arrays found in config file or automatically.
No volume groups found
!! Please file s bug report with this message."

The common denominator appears to be selecting a Custom Partitioning - Ananconda just goes ahead and throws in Volume Manager crud anyway.
After 7 years of Sabayon with this sort of phenomenon, I am currently downloading Crunchbang Linux. Sabayon is the best, *** once installed**. Shame to leave