Install stops - could not find root block device in

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Install stops - could not find root block device in

Postby rogerh113 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 16:17

Hello,

New to Sabayon, and I hope I include all needed info. Trying to load a Sabayon 10 disk (from OSDisc) that has successfully loaded on a different computer. This computer has an ASUS P5K-e motherboard, and the DVD and HDD are running on SATA connections.

The disc is read, and the install options presented. I have tried running graphical install and live, with the same result. The preparing live cd graphic comes up, and then a series of messages (with lots more text)

no bootable medium found
could not find cd to boot
could not find root block device in

On the HDD I currently have grub and SUSE linux, which boots and I am currently using to write this. On my prior install I used a clean drive, so don't know if this should make a difference.

Also, on the P5K-e there is an IDE connection for drives, and I don't know if the system is polling the IDE connection, finding nothing, and assuming that there is no HDD.

Any help would be appreciated. Happy to answer any questions or provide information requested. Hopefully there is an easy workaround. I think I have an IDE drive around is that becomes necessary (but have not tested the IDE functionality of the MB).

Regards -- Roger
rogerh113
Young Hen

Re: Install stops - could not find root block device in

Postby rogerh113 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 14:29

Tried an IDE drive, and encountered the same fault, but after a few seconds the installer moved ahead. A quarter way through the OS load to disc the installer stalled. The second try and the os installed and ran. A lot of upgrades on Rigo, and about 2/3 of the way through, the upgrade completely stalled out. Closed Rigo and started again - stalled again half way through the second upgrade. System is running but quite dodgy - no doubt a bad install. Lot of time for that....
rogerh113
Young Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**