Unable to decide where to put the bootloader

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Unable to decide where to put the bootloader

Postby erik.marcussen » Fri Mar 22, 2013 13:00

I've been using sabayon for quite some time. Of course I now want to put sabayon to a new computer. Its consisting of a 250 gb ssd where I've put a win 8 and a win7 -partition and 3 pårtitions for linux. Windows bootloader is on this disk. I have another disk - the original 1 tb hd avaible for data storing. Then I have a 512 MB SM-card mounted in the SM-card reader where I want to have the Sabayon-bootloader installed. The idea: When I use windows I just boot normally, when I'm not using windows I boot and choose the computers boot-options: I then choose the SM-card where grub2 is installed.
I don't want to mess up the windows bootloader, but when I try to install Sabayon it gives me no choice for installing the bootloader on anything else but the ssd. Am I doing something wrong or is this possibility of choosing where to put the bootloader not available in sabayon? The disks and the sm-card is there but it is not possible to choose them for storing the bootloader.
Last edited by erik.marcussen on Fri Mar 22, 2013 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
erik.marcussen
Baby Hen

Re: Unable to decide where to put the bootloader

Postby Matte88 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 15:21

Could be painful doing what you want if you have an UEFI system :cheese: :eye: :pale:
By the way, it's a bit difficult to understand why Sabayon refuses to install GRUB2 in the SM-card (SM-card??? :shock: ).
From the Live system, post here
Code: Select all
# fdisk -l
When I became the sun,
I shone life into the man's hearts.
Matte88
Technological Hen

Location: @/etc/entropy/repositories.conf.d/entropy_sabayon-limbo

Postby erik.marcussen » Fri Mar 22, 2013 15:58

Matte88 wrote:Could be painful doing what you want if you have an UEFI system :cheese: :eye: :pale:
By the way, it's a bit difficult to understand why Sabayon refuses to install GRUB2 in the SM-card (SM-card??? :shock: ).
# fdisk -l

Yes but I'øve managed to switch uefi off, and installing ubuntu 2012.10 and linux mint 14 all went well, with the bootloader installed on the smartmedia-card.
erik.marcussen
Baby Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 16:51

Matte88 wrote:Could be painful doing what you want if you have an UEFI system :cheese: :eye: :pale:

Yes, I've made a bad experience with UEFI and Win 8, when I wanted to install Sabayon on my SSD.
So, I made a simple decision. I do not need Windows 8. SL is it, or another Linux at all (K)Ubuntu, SuSE, whatever...
So, I took off my new build in hdd and now I installed SL 11 KDE as only OS on my SSD and I run my Windows 7, if ever then necessary, in a VirtualBox. I don't let decide UEFI makes any trouble to me. The price to restrict my freedom of choice is too high. And I'd really wish, many people would give back their new laptops with preinstalled Win 8 and say to the selling shops: "I don't want that on my laptop" Give me the money for that licence".

Don't forget, we are a Linux (SL) support here, not a Windows (8) and not an UEFI support here.
You can think about, if you really want that Win 8 the way, you are forced to used it.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby erik.marcussen » Fri Mar 22, 2013 19:06

Hi there
Its not a question of UEFI at all. Thats done with. Its a question of why I cant decide myself where to put the bootloader. Have I misunderstood something - or is it a problem specifiquely connected to Sabayon? - as I have had no problems whatsoever to install the bootloader on the SmartMedia-card when installing Ubuntu or Linux Mint or PC Linux on the pc.
erik.marcussen
Baby Hen

Postby Matte88 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:30

erik.marcussen wrote:
# fdisk -l

Yes but I'øve managed to switch uefi off, and installing ubuntu 2012.10 and linux mint 14 all went well, with the bootloader installed on the smartmedia-card.
You forgot the output! :pirat:
When I became the sun,
I shone life into the man's hearts.
Matte88
Technological Hen

Location: @/etc/entropy/repositories.conf.d/entropy_sabayon-limbo

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**