Sabayon 11 MATE Install on MacBook Pro Failing

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon 11 MATE Install on MacBook Pro Failing

Postby joncr » Thu Feb 21, 2013 0:11

Hi, folks. I need help installing Sabayon 11 64-bit MATE on a MacBook Pro 8.2. No dual-boot; just Sabayon on the drive.

I'm using Sabayon 11 because I was told it was a good match for the Macbook, and an easy, standard, install.

It's a stock MacBook. No modifications.

Here's what I've done:

1. Downloaded, burned and verified the LiveDVD image on the MacBook itself, in OS X. I've burned many ISO's that way, and it's reliable.

2. Inserted DVD in drive and reboot, holding down the option key.

3. Saw icons for the MacBook's drive, an EFI Boot, and Windows. Selected Windows.

4. Grub menu displayed. I selected the standard installation option.

5. Anaconda comes up and runs normally.

6. No custom partitioning: I tell Anaconda to use the entire drive.

7. Anaconda creates an LVM volume and says boot and / are on /dev/sda

8. Install proceeds normally and completes. I select the reboot prompt.

9. DVD does not eject, so the machine boots the install image again. I select "Boot From Hard Drive". That fails, with a gray screen and, eventually, the MacBook displays a question mark and then offers an "Internet Recovery".

I've been through this cycle twice with the same results.

MATE runs normally from the LiveDVD.

So, looks like I need some advice here. I've got a MacBook Pro with nothing on it but Sabayon 11 and it won't boot.
joncr
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon 11 MATE Install on MacBook Pro Failing

Postby joncr » Fri Feb 22, 2013 22:00

I have done three of these broken installs. All failed to boot. The first install booted to a black screen. The last two tried to use the previous system's bootloader. Conclusion: The installer is broken.
joncr
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**