Problems Loggin in [Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Problems Loggin in [Solved]

Postby Luposz » Thu Sep 16, 2010 17:57

Hello
I just installed Sabayon Linux 5.3 amd64 KDE
But when i get in the user login screen and tried to login with the user I created, it just says "Failed login"
And if I tried login like root its says something like "Can't login with root"
I don't know why it says that...

How can i fixed ?
>_<
Luposz
Young Hen

Re: Problems Loggin in

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Sep 17, 2010 23:56

Not sure. Faulty or incorrect installation? You can try the following in case it's just a problem with the password:

You can try to reset your password by chrooting into your HDD installation from a LiveDVD and using the passwd command. See the SL Wiki article HOWTO: Restore Grub2 for instructions on how to chroot. Once you have got the chroot prompt, you just need to use the following command and enter the new password for the root user when prompted:

Code: Select all
passwd

And then try to change the password for your own user account:

passwd luposz

(or whatever your user name is.)
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Sep 29, 2010 15:24

Did changing the password using the method I described solve your problem? If not, something else to try is discussed in the thread Can't login.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby alshain » Thu Oct 07, 2010 16:59

Hi... I've got the same problem. Fresh installation - tried it twice.
After using passwd I get "You user account has expired"

That's why I did a
usermod -e 2012-12-12 myuser

After that I could login in the console.
"But after that I get a kstartupconfig4 does not exist or fails. The error code is 3. Check your installation."

What should I do? :S
alshain
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 17:21

Try, as root user, the following command:

chown -R alshain:users /home/alshain/.kde4
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby alshain » Thu Oct 07, 2010 17:35

There is no home directory for my user??
How can this be? everything seems a little messed up.
In home, there are the following directories:
ftp
p2p
.keep

//edit: according to /etc/passwd, my my home directory is /root??

//edit2: I have now created /home/operator and done a chown on it.
Now I can login. Is the design supposed to look different from the LiveCD or is that because there are no settings in .kde, i.e. nonexistent? there is such a folder in /root, should I just copy it to get the correct settings?

//edit3: sorry for hijacking the thread :) But I hope this can help you as well, LuposZ
alshain
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 18:02

If you had no home directory for your user name, something is seriously wrong with your installation. Do you by any chance have multiple distributions installed on your HDD? If I were you, I'd try reinstalling SL.

The SL Wiki (see link at the top of this page) has a guided tour of installation for both KDE and GNOME. Unfortunately it's not for SL 5.4, but should give you a good idea of the installation process.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby alshain » Thu Oct 07, 2010 18:11

I've also got Windows 7 on my machine.
I've tried to install Sabayon (why is it abreviated SL?) twice - with the same results. When I tried the setup that Sabayon suggested for partitioning, (using the unpartitioned space) it would always end with an error about not being able to notify the kernel or something like that. It was a Python traceback.
I'm now writing from my Sabayon installation, but I've got weird window decorations(if that's what it's called)
alshain
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 18:21

I used "SL" because it's faster than typing "Sabayon Linux" or "Sabayon".

If no user other than root was created but you specified a user other than root when you installed from the LiveDVD then your installation is not correct. Trying to rescue it by copying stuff from the root user's directories, or by creating things yourself, is not advisable. Your groups memberships and many other things are probably not configured correctly. If I were you, I'd reinstall from the LiveDVD. If you had trouble doing that before, then I would create the partitions manually first before running the Installer. GParted is a good and easy-to-use GUI partition manager for doing that.

Have you read the SL Wiki article HOWTO: Dual boot Sabayon Linux and Windows?

Don't bother having a separate boot partition, just create a swap partition, a root (/) partition and a /home partition.

Also, are you connected to the Internet when you install so that the Installer can check if there are any updates (there used to be an Update Installer button - I'm not sure if it's still there with SL 5.4 or whether it's automatic now?) Try running the following command as root user when you're using the LiveDVD before running the Installer:

liveinst-update-quick
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby alshain » Thu Oct 07, 2010 18:40

Hmm.. I think I'll redownload the image from a different mirror and burn it to disk. Now, I have used a thumb drive to install it.

As for the partitioning: As mentioned in the article, I have a Rescue Partition. Or I've had, that is.
I also have a Windows system partition and an extended parition containing two NTFS partitions for my Windows partition.
At first, I tried to create a /boot partition and an LVM containing my /, /home and swap but apparently, the LVM is included in that limitation.
So I've decided to get rid of the System Recovery partition - because I've never used in in three years and it's for restoring Vista (not 7) with lots of the manufacturers bloatware.
That didn't really help either, so I had settled with a swap partition in the Recovery's place and a ext4 partition, mounted at /.
But I'm not entirely content with that partitioning, because I'd like to be able to install an additional linux distribution. (at least)
So.. my current partitioning layout is as follows:
swap
ntfs - Windows 7 system
extended
  | - ntfs data
  | - ntfs programs
ext4 / (SL)
alshain
Young Hen

Next

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**