Media not found - kernel missing the drivers [Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Media not found - kernel missing the drivers [Solved]

Postby deneb_ja » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:38

Good morning,
I am quite new with Linux in general and Sabayon in particular, therefore forgive me if I say something silly.

I have a Lenovo X301 with Matshita UJ-844 DVD. I would like to have a triple boot with Windows 7 64 BIT, OpenSuse 11.2 64 BIT and Sabayon 5.1 r1 (32 bit).

No problem in installing both Windows and OpenSuse, but when it comes to Sabayon, at the moment the laptop bios pass control to the Sabayon kernel, I receive the message: 'Media not found, Could not find CD to boot.

I tried with the previos Sabayon version [5.0] on the same laptop and it doesn't work either, while both version install easily on another [older] laptop, like Lenovo X60

My impression is that the kernel is missing the drivers for the Matshita DVD. Any suggestion?

I thought about putting the installation DVD on a USB pen and try to boot from the pen and install from there, but I do not know exactly how to create a bootable USB pen with Linux.

Any advice is more than welcome.

thanks 1K
deneb_ja
Last edited by deneb_ja on Fri Mar 12, 2010 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
deneb_ja
Baby Hen

Re: Media could not be found - kernel missing the drivers

Postby smb96 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:45

HI,

to create the bootable usb stick you can use unetbootin. It is very easy to use. http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
smb96
Simple Hen

Re: Media could not be found - kernel missing the drivers

Postby deneb_ja » Wed Mar 10, 2010 15:39

Great smb96,
thanks a billion!

Unetbootin worked very nicely and I managed to finalise my triple boot with Sabayon 5.1.

deneb_ja
deneb_ja
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**