Resolution too high at install. Can't see anything.

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Resolution too high at install. Can't see anything.

Postby The_Great_Bunghole » Fri Mar 05, 2010 0:07

I am new to Sabayon Linux (well, I installed 4.2, but the graphics mysteriously kept going berserk every boot).

I currently am trying to use Sabayon 5.1 "gaming" on this (Laptop) hardware:

Acer Aspire 5100-5455:
AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-56 (Dual-core 1.8 GHz)
896 MB RAM (128 MB used for graphics of 1 GB)
ATI Radeon 1100 express
Atheros WiFi

The Installation sets the resolution too high for my monitor. I can't see a thing. I am currently using an external 15" LCD as my monitor, because the laptop's 15.4" WXGA LCD panel has stopped working, & I am not even going to bother trying to get a replacement. I do use other Linux distributions on this laptop that usually set the resolution as my preferred resolution: 1024 x 768.

I have tried editing: /etc/X11/xorg.conf by simply adding 1024x768 in front of the other resolutions listed under display / monitor (don't remember which). Also tried uncommenting parts of that .conf file. But nothing works. I can tell that it boots into the desktop environment by sounds and such. I would really love to start using Sabayon (or Gentoo if I can't use this one). Can anybody help me? :mrgreen:
The_Great_Bunghole
Baby Hen

Re: Resolution too high at install. Can't see anything.

Postby joost » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:45

Make sure the resolutions lines are NOT commented out there! (I mean no # at the line)
joost
Sagely Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**