cant install from DVD 5.0 or CoreCD 5.1

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

cant install from DVD 5.0 or CoreCD 5.1

Postby roger_dv » Wed Jan 13, 2010 21:30

Im trying to install from DVD, version 5.0 (KDE), but first the boot process stopped at Loading... Then I changed the DVD drive and I got the error about media not found. The installer says it cant find CD to boot and cannot determine the root device. also, it cant boot the LiveDVD or the safe mode. I tried burnig the DVD again, twice, but the new DVDs does the same, stops at Loading, or simply after the ISOLINUX line.
Then I tried the CoreCD 5.1, but when I select Txt installer I got a Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0). The same happens for Console or safe mode.
I have an IDE DVD drive as slave in the primary IDE channel, and the hard disk is a SATA.
Is there any way to solve this?
roger_dv
Baby Hen

Re: cant install from DVD 5.0 or CoreCD 5.1

Postby throdon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:15

when I boot the DVD I need to use some cheat codes or my desktop doesn't ever load.

when the DVD menu shows up hit F5 add this code to the grub command line.
Code: Select all
noapic noacpi acpi=off
I am not saying this will solve your problem and I have no idea why I have to use it other than it works for me. I have a sata drive and for some reason some laptops need it also. if this doesn't help just reboot to try something else.

also did you burn the DVD on the slowest speed.

did you check your md5sum
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature
throdon
Advanced Hen

Postby thecata » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:45

As far as I can remember, there were some bugs in the 5.0 releases. You were supposed to update the installer (via internet connection) before installing from those particular releases (both kde and gnome were affected). [To admins, correct me if I'm wrong]
However, I find it weird that you couldn't install from the core cd... that one should have been ok (unless your iso is corrupt or something - check the md5).
Catalin Pol
Linux user since 2004; Sabayon user since 2006
thecata
Simple Hen

Postby roger_dv » Thu Jan 14, 2010 14:39

I still have to check the md5, throdon, after that I just get a black screen, even with text installer.
roger_dv
Baby Hen

Postby throdon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 16:11

ok if I am understanding you correctly you are checking the md5sum after you burned the DVD... this is not correct.

You must check your md5sum BEFORE you burn your DVD.

I use k3b for my burning needs. when I chose the iso I want to burn it runs a md5sum check before it allows you to burn.
I am pretty sure all burning software does this for you. you should verify this number with the md5sum of where you got the Iso. there is always a link that says something about md5sum. if it doesn't match then DO NOT go through with the burn, find another sabayon iso, check out linux tracker, it's where I usually download my Sabayon iso'shttp://linuxtracker.org/. If it does match then chances are you are good. unless if stated here and in other threads there truly is a problem with some of the iso's.

And the core cd is for advanced users it is pretty close to doing a gentoo install so using it is not recommended if you have no clue on how sabayon/gentoo work. I suggest you steer clear of core until you learn the ways Sabayon works and in extension learn about building gentoo. So stick with the Gnome or KDE versions of Sabayon, until you are comfortable with the command line
if you are new read the Sabayon wikihttp://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=Main_Page and the new users resources.http://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16505 this page is extremely important. I have used it extensively, and it is a great help, I even used it when I installed gentoo because i was more comfortable with how some of the topix were explained.

Well good luck, I hope this fixes or you fix it some other way. Sabayon is a piece of art that is hidden in a distro. and for me it really is a great distro, it can do anything you want to do in linux, but it is not easy. Read EVERYTHING. this is important. READ READ READ.That is a must if you are going to understand Sabayon. the resources are there. but no one can make you understand them. you must understand them by reading and asking questions.
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature
throdon
Advanced Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**