Sabayon linux 5.0 x86_64 dosent see hard disk for Install.

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon linux 5.0 x86_64 dosent see hard disk for Install.

Postby SourceKode » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:14

I used to use sabayon 3, a few years ago, but upon upgrading my computer it no longer worked because of the buggy nvidia drivers (and the non-prop drivers as well) for the 9800GTX+ in SLi. I recently saw that they had come out with 5.0 and seeing as how 3.4 was one of my favorite (and best looking) versions of linux, i decided to give it a go.

The live-cd works beautifully! love it! and it is one of the few flavors of linux that can actually use my old school audigy 2 platinum. SLi works effortlessly, and it is fast as hell. However, it does not see my internal sata drives for the install... It will recoginize my USB drives with no problems, and oddly enough when i use the text installation, it can see and even partition,format,and install (allbeit unsuccessfully) sabayon, but when i try to install from GUI, or from the live cd boot-up itself, no bueno.... I am completely out of ideas at this point. I have updated the installer, to no avail, and tried to manually mount the drives, no luck.... I have partitioned them with the text install, and then tried to install with the GUI, and still no luck. I read a previous post with the same problem, but with scsi device... Dunno if anyone has had this with sata yet. System is as follows;

ASUS P5N-D, intel core 2 quad Q6600 @ 2.4, Dual PNY XLR8 9800GTX+, 12Gb Supertalent ddr2800, 3 Dell SP23D Monitors W/Webcams, WD Cavaiar blue 320gb hd, G15+G19 Keyboards, Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse, SB Audigy 2 Platinum W/Soundbox.

If anyone has any suggestions i would love to try em', Im looking forward to installing this and freeing up my dvd drive =)
SourceKode
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon linux 5.0 x86_64 dosent see hard disk for Install.

Postby throdon » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:07

sorry I don't have any help, but I am impressed by your hardware,now you gotta get one of these
http://www.reddit.com/tb/aodhg
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature
throdon
Advanced Hen

Postby eshum » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:18

I would suggest you try Sabayon 5.1 instead of 5.0. I have 5.1 x64 kde installed on a sata drive. Windows resides on a ide drive..

ed
eshum
Technological Hen

Postby lonesomecrow » Tue Jan 12, 2010 18:28

From my previous experience, if the hard drive that you want to install Sabayon into is mounted, the installer will give you an error or won't find it. Since I knew I wanted to go ahead and install Sabayon on my system, upon staring the live session, I didn't do anything but launch the installer and install obviously. Also getting the latest version of the distro is the best way to go, which as of this message, is 5.1. Hope this helps.
lonesomecrow
Simple Hen

Postby SourceKode » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:14

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Im downloading 5.1 right now. I actually got it to install last night but it is bugged still. I was trying to update GTK, and the nVidia Drivers with emerge, and it makes it most of the way through, and then says the drive is write protected, then bash dosent recognize any commands and i have to restart... I got it to install by using the corrupt installation through text install where it see's the drives, and then booting to the live CD and rescuing the installation, however, X refuses to start because it cant find all the driver components, so i try to update with emerge, and, well, see the first paragraph of this run on sentance =).

I did forget to include information in my original post however, the drive is partitioned with windows on a seperate ntfs partition, and / and swap, are partitioned into the other 3rd of the drive, as an experiment to see if i could get the partition manager in sabayon to see it, i left 100gb un-partitioned free space, but, again, no luck hehe.

In response to lonesomecrow, The drive dosent mount when i boot into the live CD at all, the system dosent see it, and i cant manually mount it.... Kinda driving me nuts lol.

BTW thordon. I'll look into the CRAY, even though i think the earlier versions (circa 1980) looked much, much, cooler.. Who cares if they took up a whole room... The were as fast as a 386 =P. Wewt.
SourceKode
Baby Hen

Postby SourceKode » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:04

Well, Download 5.1.. Still no Hard drives. Grrr. lol. Im starting to think that the hdd may be mounted but i cant find it to unmount.... The only reason i think this is with my thumb drive inserted, it picks it up as sdb1, instead of sda1, and its the only drive the install see's....... Im retarded in terminal. hehe. will keep you posted.

sK
SourceKode
Baby Hen

Postby SourceKode » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:11

well checked mount, returned this ;

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
none on /overlay type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/loop0 on /mnt/livecd type squashfs (ro,relatime)
/dev/sr0 on /mnt/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,relatime) [ Sabayon Linux 5.1-r1 amd64 K ]
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
rc-svcdir on /lib64/rc/init.d type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=1024k,mode=755)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,devmode=0664,devgid=85)
nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

so no hdd coming up, unless im missing something hehe.
SourceKode
Baby Hen

Postby eshum » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:48

Okay lets go back to the beginning what was the condition of the hard before the first attempted install-- Bare formated, no operating system , os erased? I keep a copy of Dariks nuke and boot around just for times like this when a drive is not seen by linux or windows I nuke it and start with a really sparkling clean hard drive.

ed
eshum
Technological Hen

Postby lonesomecrow » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:17

I know it sounds silly, but maybe the Sabayon installer knows you got a Windows installation in your hard drive and is refusing to install? :lol: . But on a serious note, I like to keep different OSes in different HDD's just in case one of them goes nuts, it won't wipe my data from the others, which is something that happened to me several times. Maybe you can try with a different HDD if you have a spare one. I hope you find a solution to your problem.
lonesomecrow
Simple Hen

Postby SourceKode » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:02

The drive originally had 2 partitions, down the middle, both ntfs. One partition had windows vistax64, for gaming purposes, the other for storage of all of my legally downloaded torrents =). I decided to move back to linux, because wine has become very efficient at windows game emulation, and, well, the other option is windows. I kept the vista partition after moving the data from the storage partition to it, and so my wife could still use windows for her farmville, and other crap (hehe, i better hope she dosent read this one) and decided to dual boot sabayon. started with the sabayon 5.0 x86_64 live cd, and no bueno on getting it to recognize the drive, so i tried the text install, it recognized, and seemed to install. Tried to boot, didnt work.. Tried the windows partition, but forgot that the first partition (storage) held the bootloader , and was now formatted, but thats to easy to fix at a later date. removed the storage ntfs partition, and made a 2048mb swap partition and the remainder was used for / . format succeeded , os installed again, this time booted, but no X, X reported that it was missing packages from the nVidia driver, so i used emerge to try to reinstall the nVidia driver, however, once it is almost done, something happens that disables (in the sense that i cant use any commands, short of cd .. ) bash, and the computer thinks the drive is write protected.. or I/O error cant write to drive yada yada yada. used SU to root before trying the emerge. That about rounds it up =) any ideas let me know, still using the live cd though hehe. This was typed from sabayon 5.1.
SourceKode
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**