In need of some install advice. [Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

In need of some install advice. [Solved]

Postby Prime » Sat Dec 19, 2009 19:57

Here is my issue, I have 3 1TB drives that I want to setup as a RAID, they are already setup as a RAID for Ubuntu Server but I don't know if Sabayon setup is different. The RAID is setup like so dev/md1 is dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdc3 RAID5, regular swap setup not in a RAID, and dev/md0 is dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 RAID1. I will be using the RAID to run my home server which is also my desktop system, I will give all my specs at the end. My server will only be used to run a blog and and some Rails development, after I finish teaching myself Ruby and that is about it. I will be using Bitnami's Drupal and it comes with a typical LAMP stack. If you need anymore info let me know and I will try to find it out for you. I don't have hardware virtualization, which sucks, so that is not an option. Thanks!

System Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz per processor 64-bit
8 GB RAM
3 1TB Western Digital Caviler Black hard drives that spin at 7200 rpm and all disks have dual processors and are all SATA
Nvidia GeForce GT 120 PCI-E 16x with 1 GB dedicated RAM at 550 MHz
Last edited by Prime on Sun Dec 20, 2009 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
"Life goes by so fast, you only want to do what you think is right. Close your eyes and its past, story of my life." Social Distortion
Prime
Baby Hen

Re: In need of some install advice.

Postby Thev00d00 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 13:59

Im pretty sure that your cpu supports hardware virtualisation, maybe its not turned on in the bios?

[edit]
Just checked wikipedia and your chip does support vtx.

As for the install issue it would be prefable to use lvm unless you have a hardware raid chip.
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Re: In need of some install advice.

Postby Prime » Sun Dec 20, 2009 14:04

No I ran egrep '(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo and got back no response and I looked in the BIOS and did not see anything. No worries though I got the RAID up and running the old fashion way by trail and error.
"Life goes by so fast, you only want to do what you think is right. Close your eyes and its past, story of my life." Social Distortion
Prime
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**