Sabayon 5.o LiveCD and Installer do not find any hard drives

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon 5.o LiveCD and Installer do not find any hard drives

Postby Marius » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:39

I tried to install Sabayon 5.o on HP xw9300 Quad Dual Core AMD Opteron with 8GB RAM and 3 internal hard drives attached to the LSI SCSI controller:

LSI Logic Corp. MPT IME BIOS
Copyright 1995-2003 LSI Logic Corp.
MPTBIOS-IME-5.10.02

(the information copied from the first BIOS screen.)

The installer and the LiveCD (I tried GNOME and KDE versions, both AMD64)---neither one finds any drives to install the OS. This error message is posted when I hit Next button at the Partition Screen of the installer:

No Drives Found

An error has occurred - no valid devices were found on which to create new file systems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem

I tried to find any options in BIOS tweaking which could make a difference: to no avail.

My HP xw9300 has currently installed OpenSUSE 10.2 which boots without problem, the SCSI disks are properly detected, and the Fusion-MPT Host Driver 3.04.01 being used.

Searching the internet revealed that the problem may be indeed related to the updated Fusion MPT Host Driver which is also employed by the Sabayon installer (the latter has version 3.04.10 of the Fusion-MPT driver), see, e.g., the bug report:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=230703

Like in that report, dmesg file doesn't reveal anything I find suspicious.

This issue is critical as it prevents installing Sabayon on workstations with disks attached to the above mentioned LSI Logic SCSI controller.

P.S. I tried to attach dmesg file but I couldn't: all attempts ended with the same message: "The extension is not allowed." A bug in the "Upload attachment"? I was attaching /var/log/dmesg, and when that didn't work, I copied dmesg to /home/sabayonuser but the result was no different.
Marius
Simple Hen

Re: Sabayon 5.o LiveCD and Installer do not find any hard drives

Postby gallienus » Wed Nov 18, 2009 19:40

If the live-dvd will boot and load Sabayon maybe you could use portato to remove the newer driver and install an older version that you know works?
gallienus
Growing Hen

Re: Sabayon 5.o LiveCD and Installer do not find any hard drives

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 22:22

Marius wrote:P.S. I tried to attach dmesg file but I couldn't: all attempts ended with the same message: "The extension is not allowed." A bug in the "Upload attachment"? I was attaching /var/log/dmesg, and when that didn't work, I copied dmesg to /home/sabayonuser but the result was no different.

Attachments need a recognised extension such as "txt" so you have to rename dmesg to dmesg.txt
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**