DVD can't boot, I wanna use HDD to install.

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

DVD can't boot, I wanna use HDD to install.

Postby Langretz » Thu Oct 29, 2009 14:53

So I'm back after a long period of inactivity at Sabayon. I'm trying to get back into linux because one of my storage partitions was corrupted and I lost all my data. I tried Windows 7 demo for a couple days and that just made things worse.

All in All, I no longer have a real OS. And my Xp key is all used up so that's a no go. And this Windows 7 install is only active for maybe a couple weeks. I want to go to Linux since #1, IT'S FREE. :D

But my problem is that I can't get the 5.0 LiveDVD to boot, or any other Linux Live CD for that matter. Something is wrong with my DVD Drive and it nothing can be mounted. The CD's boot and can't find the root block device, and because of it cannot mount any of the information needed for the Live DVD to function. So how am I supposed to install linux since you have to have a cd. I know the USB boot works for some. But I guess the USB Stick I have isn't bootable even though I can select it from my BIOS boot list. (I've tried already lol, I'm not just coming into this blind)

My real question is then, is there a way to restore a drive image, and install that way? Because I know you can do that with Mac's. If you create an image from your whole hard drive after the OS has been installed and what not the filesystem will be kept intact. So what about with linux? Couldn't someone make a small partition install linux and then make a Drive Image of it? Now I know a lot of people have different hardware so it might make it almost impossible for that image to be universal. But there might be a lot of generalized options you could use for the image that could later be changed by whoever needs special packages instead of just the generic.
Langretz
Baby Hen

Re: DVD can't boot, I wanna use HDD to install.

Postby Langretz » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:25

I had seen that article when I was looking around before I posted, but didn't try it. Now that you mentioned it I decided to give it a whirl. But I Windows 7 doesn't use Boot.ini as Vista doesn't either. And from what I've seen poking around in the command line, the Win7 Boot Manager is not very accepting of anything non windows. And I don't see a way to manually add a specific entry to it for booting Linux. If anyone else knows the ins and outs of BCDEDIT.exe (The Boot Manager configuration) please let me know
Langretz
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**