Can't get past GRUB when booting LiveDVD SL 4.2 [Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Can't get past GRUB when booting LiveDVD SL 4.2 [Solved]

Postby hunt_mat » Wed Oct 21, 2009 17:23

Hi,

When I try to boot up my liveDVD of Sabayon 4.2 I get into a text screen with the line:

GNU GRUB version 0.97 (639K lower / 2996928K upper memory

[Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB list possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the completions of a device/filename.]

grub> _

Is this a hardware error (Sabayon complained about a possible hardware fault on the last attempt I tried to install via live CD)? A friend tried it on her PC and it worked fine. My windows partition is also having problems.

Mat
hunt_mat
Growing Hen

Re: Can't get past GRUB when booting from liveDVD sabayon 4.2

Postby xlnagla » Mon Oct 26, 2009 21:25

hm... this is most interesting. Is this when you are booting off of the DVD, or when you're just turning on your computer like normal? At the moment, this issue does not seem to make much sense... the DVD kinda doesn't use GRUB, it uses ISOLinux....

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby hunt_mat » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:57

Hi,

It was when I logged in normally. I was talking a a friend who knows about PCs and he thought it could have been a hardware fault so I bought another drive and installed Sabayon 5.0 as per usual and the installation worked (mostly, I get a freeze whenever logout/shutdown my PC).

I am afraid I can't give you anymore information than that, I think it was just a dodgy bit of hardware.

Mat
hunt_mat
Growing Hen

Postby xlnagla » Sat Oct 31, 2009 21:45

well, if all's well then I guess I've nothing more to say on the matter. Have some good times with Sabayon!

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**