Sabayon 5.0 installation black screen

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sabayon 5.0 installation black screen

Postby crisandbea » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:44

elempjr wrote:I messed up :p and had to start over and tried what crisandbea suggested earlier

when you boot liveDVD press f5 and insert xdriver=nv , after this press the enter button.

For anyone who may want to know.

On my DELL latitude d620 aparently i have the nvidia quadro turbo driver instead of the intel driver that came with the base system. I was getting a Black screen upon the start of X when trying to load the live S5 iso. Passing xdriver=nv to the kernel at boot from live iso image (sabayon 5 gnome 32bit) gave success. I was able to boot graphical mode and install or use the system from there without problems

If you're using a unetboot iso image of it, when the boot menu choices come up, you just have to press tab to pass boot arguments.

I have the egual Notebook, after installation you install the nvidia-drivers-190.42-r1 for work with the official nvidia-drivers and kernel 2.6.31 and xorg-server-7
crisandbea
Old Dear Hen

Postby mktyap » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:08

elempjr wrote:
everyone who can get one: your output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log would be tremendously helpful. Post it here, or attach it to a comment.

Currently though i have fallen back to version 4 as it works "out of the box" so to speak with the exception of updating it. I will try to re-download the version 5 iso and md5sum (to check it of course) and install in a different way to see if i get the same problem. :)

I solved my X problem of 5.0 by reverting to my 4.2 kernel. Ive previously updated 4.2, so I copied the 2.6.29 kernel and initramfs to the new boot partition, copy the folder /lib/modules/2.6.29 to the new /lib/modules folder and gruboot it by editing menu.lst.

Hope this helps those whore still reading this thread :wink:
mktyap
Simple Hen

Postby sharadgaj » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:38

I had same black screen problem in installing on my HP xw4600 workstation which has NVIDIA graphics card.. After trying
xdriver=nv as a boot argument i am able to see something scrolling very fast... Could able to read only following
DMAR error------ with some error showing hex. address...

Can anyone tell what is this???
sharadgaj
Baby Hen

Postby slipktux » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:00

I have a Toshiba Satellite A305D-SP6925R with an AMD Turion X2 and ATI Radeon HD3100...
I've tried to boot the Sabayon 5.1 LiveDVD and it hangs with a black screen, but I did what crisandbea said...

when you boot liveDVD press f5 and insert xdriver=nv , after this press the enter button

except that I used "xdriver=fglrx" for my ATI, and it booted up lovely...
Right now I'm installing Sabayon 5.1 with the updated installer (I used the "update installer" option of the installer)
Now I'm going to reboot, I'll tell you later how it works :mrgreen:
slipktux
Baby Hen

Postby slipktux » Tue Dec 29, 2009 17:09

Everything is working great!!!
Now I have Sabayon 5.1 working great!!!
Remember, I have an ATI Radeon HD 3100...
After installing it, I had to change Driver "fglrx" for Driver "ati" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, because the Xserver didn't recognize the "fglrx" driver, but "ati" works ok :D

So, to get Sabayon 5.1 working, I did...

1. Start LiveDVD mode with the "xdriver=fglrx" option
2. Update the installer (the installer has this option)
3. Install Sabayon
4. Reboot after install (daaa)
5. Start Sabayon in text mode (because X's doesn't start), and change Driver "fglrx" for Driver "ati" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
6. Reboot (not Ctrl + Alt + Del)
7. Enjoy Sabayon 5.1 :mrgreen:

Because it started with nvidia cards, I guess similar steps will work for all of you...
I hope this help you guys!
slipktux
Baby Hen

Postby JerichoKru » Fri Jan 22, 2010 20:00

slipktux wrote:Everything is working great!!!
Now I have Sabayon 5.1 working great!!!
Remember, I have an ATI Radeon HD 3100...
After installing it, I had to change Driver "fglrx" for Driver "ati" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, because the Xserver didn't recognize the "fglrx" driver, but "ati" works ok :D

So, to get Sabayon 5.1 working, I did...

1. Start LiveDVD mode with the "xdriver=fglrx" option
2. Update the installer (the installer has this option)
3. Install Sabayon
4. Reboot after install (daaa)
5. Start Sabayon in text mode (because X's doesn't start), and change Driver "fglrx" for Driver "ati" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
6. Reboot (not Ctrl + Alt + Del)
7. Enjoy Sabayon 5.1 :mrgreen:

Because it started with nvidia cards, I guess similar steps will work for all of you...
I hope this help you guys!

I tried this, had no luck. I even used "cheat codes" and still couldn't get 5.1 to boot, not even in safe mode. I know nothing is wrong with the disk, since my notebook booted into it with no issues what-so-ever and everything worked flawlessly.

After attempting to boot into a graphical environment, I get a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner. If i got into a terminal (atl-F1 or alt-F2) and type "startx", it goes to a black screen with 3 white and light-green xterms.

Desktop(blue) and Notebook(green) in sig.
AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE @ 2.9| ASUS M3A78-EM | 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 (@ 860) | HD 4870 @ 800/975 | SunbeamTech 680W | Windows 7 Pro x64

Asus K50AB | AMD Turion 64 X2 RM-75| 4GB DDR2-800 | ATi Mobility Radeon HD 4570 | Windows 7 Home x64
JerichoKru
Baby Hen

Previous

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**