Sabayon 5.0 installation black screen

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon 5.0 installation black screen

Postby ux&lx » Wed Oct 14, 2009 15:01

Hello everyone. Lats night i tryed to install new Sabayon 5.0. I've downloaded the 64 bit KDE livedvd. Unfortunately, I can't boot it. The live enviroment, graphical installation or even safe mode don't work. When it come to the point where X should start black screen appears and it freezes on that. I have Lenovo Thinkpad T61 with Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M. I tried with opengl and res options in grub line but that didn't help. Can anyone plese help me with this?
ux&lx
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon 5.0 installation black screen

Postby xlnagla » Thu Oct 15, 2009 15:52

try using the "text mode only" boot argument nox

You won't get X (obviously), but from within that you can see if anything else is going wrong.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby top.runner » Sun Nov 01, 2009 16:16

hi,

I just published here the same problem you are having - black screen.
but for me the safe mode works. but the graphical install and live doest.
didnt tried the text install yet.
let me know if you find out what the problem is or if the text install works..
top.runner
Baby Hen

Postby elempjr » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:55

Having similar issue with 32bit 5.0 gnome install. I have a Dell though... latitude d620... at *startx* of course the system hangs, caps lock won't even light at this point. same thing when i run live, or anymode other than safe or text install from boot disk. btw... i'm using a 2g usb (for my install), 64m video, 1g ram...

i CAN run safe mode from live usb (that's how i posted here ;)
also, after installing via text mode, i can get to my term line (looks identical to ctrl+alt+f1 but i didn't press it).

even asks for login... so like a dummy ;p, i type startx (after text login with my u/n and p/w). obviously (as stated previously) system hang... etc...

i need to figure out what to do next though to help dX (short for diagnose) the problem. suppose i'll slip back over to the newb section and see what my next step is :)
~epitomy is the bottom of the abyss
-eal
elempjr
Baby Hen

Postby xlnagla » Mon Nov 02, 2009 20:35

everyone who can get one: your output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log would be tremendously helpful. Post it here, or attach it to a comment.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby elempjr » Tue Nov 03, 2009 18:45

everyone who can get one: your output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log would be tremendously helpful. Post it here, or attach it to a comment.

When i attempt viewing of /var/log/Xorg.0.log through Vim (at least i think it was vim... one of those command line text editors :), it is empty however Xorg.0.log.old shows alot of activity along with xdm.log. Infact, i noticed alot of notation in xdm.log pointing to framebuffer not supported and busId's all at the same time notations as me having the issue.

Alot of the headers in these log files do not match either. what i mean is, the version of X shows two different years and versions.

Currently though i have fallen back to version 4 as it works "out of the box" so to speak with the exception of updating it. I will try to re-download the version 5 iso and md5sum (to check it of course) and install in a different way to see if i get the same problem.

If i still have the problem and my Xorg.0.log is still empty, will it help if i post the b-up (Xorg.0.log.old) and/or post xdm.log. I won't post the "messages" log b'cause that's just too much info to process! but if i see some congruency with errors and times i'll paste the questionable groups of lines.

all this will most likely take a couple days for me though so please allow me some time :)
-eal
elempjr
Baby Hen

Postby crisandbea » Tue Nov 03, 2009 19:13

when you boot liveDVD press f5 and insert xdriver=nv , after this press the enter button.
crisandbea
Old Dear Hen

Postby elempjr » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:04

crisandbea wrote:when you boot liveDVD press f5 and insert xdriver=nv , after this press the enter button.

thing is, i don't have a dvd drive presently (waiting on the mail for it) however i boot from usb and it gives me a grub like menu (unetboot way from iso i download). If i'm understanding correctly; I should insert 'xdriver=nv' as a boot option, is that correct?

and... like i said i'll know for sure in a day or two, we share internet and power cords for our dells where i am so we have to coordinate for large downloads :)
elempjr
Baby Hen

Postby elempjr » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:28

I have great news!! I was able to get sabayon 5 'X' system to work!

I wasn't able to pass the boot argument (about the xdriver) to the system. I don't have the live dvd style boot up since i'm using a unetboot/usb type install/boot. I'm sure i could've if i had spent a little more time on it.

Instead, i re-downloaded the iso and the md5sum and checked them. Good iso! Then i formatted my usb stick and re-loaded the Sabayon 5 Gnome 32 bit iso on it. Put it in the slot and...

same problems :(

I was ALMOST heart broken but not yet about to give up. I tried safemode from the usb stick. Yet again, it worked to get me into a graphical/familiar environment.

From there i was EASILY able to get my wifi initialized and logged in for internet access (nothing different there either)

After that, i tried to do an install from the "install gui" on the "safe mode" desktop (didnt think of trying that option before). Since i was already connected to the internet i decided to update the installer first.

EVERYTHING is working great! The install was a SUCCESS!!! :D

I am updating the rest from inside my sabayon 5 gnome system as I write to all of you. I don't know if this is a fix for the problem, but it worked for me and i decided to tell everyone just in case it helps someone else.

8)

I can "re-create" the issue if needed and get the output of those files sometime if it might be helpful to the programmers. The standard install methods on the iso STILL give me the same negative results. But as for my computer, MY problem is solved somehow.
-eal
elempjr
Baby Hen

Postby elempjr » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:07

I messed up :p and had to start over and tried what crisandbea suggested earlier

when you boot liveDVD press f5 and insert xdriver=nv , after this press the enter button.

For anyone who may want to know.

On my DELL latitude d620 aparently i have the nvidia quadro turbo driver instead of the intel driver that came with the base system. I was getting a Black screen upon the start of X when trying to load the live S5 iso. Passing xdriver=nv to the kernel at boot from live iso image (sabayon 5 gnome 32bit) gave success. I was able to boot graphical mode and install or use the system from there without problems

If you're using a unetboot iso image of it, when the boot menu choices come up, you just have to press tab to pass boot arguments.
elempjr
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**