5.0 install freezes on formatting disk [Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 5.0 install freezes on formatting disk

Postby second_exodous » Wed Oct 14, 2009 14:10

I have the net and when I update the installer it says it has and quit reloads it, so I'm sure it's updated. I'll try manually formatting it and then installing with that.

How detailed do I need to be in the bug report though? Do I need to list the exact model of HD and my motherboard? I've never filed a bug before.
second_exodous
Baby Hen

Postby micia » Wed Oct 14, 2009 14:20

When compiling it keep in mind that the devs have to rely on it to find out the bug and fix it.
So the more informations you provide, the better it will be.

You should report the Sabayon version and architecture (x86 5.0G, x86 5.0K, x86_64 5.0K, and so on),
that you verified the checksum and are sure that the DVD is good (so you should be sure about it,
maybe trying to install it on another hard disk could be useful).
You should also provide the relevant components on your PC:
-hard disk
-CPU
-Optical device

Obviously you have also to describe the problem :)

Here you will find how to report bugs:
http://forum.sabayonlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=16178
If you are sure that it is not your fault report it, and if it is a bug, many users will be happier
when installing Sabayon :mrgreen:

[EDIT] by the way, username and password from your forum account should be now recognized on the tracker.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby second_exodous » Wed Oct 14, 2009 14:29

micia wrote:[EDIT] by the way, username and password from your forum account should be now recognized on the tracker

Wait, what? I didn't understand that last part.
second_exodous
Baby Hen

Postby micia » Wed Oct 14, 2009 14:35

Previously you had to register on the Sabayon bug tracker in order to submit a bug report,
now your forum account is valid for the bug tracker too, so you do not need to register anymore
if you are already registered on the forum.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby second_exodous » Wed Oct 14, 2009 16:22

Got it installed, just had to manually partition my HD. I couldn't figure it out on the live secession of SL so I booted into ubuntu and did it. I needed to run the command 'gparted' for the gui, I kept running 'gpart', so I could have done it in the live secession and didn't need ubuntu. Oh well.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to check the md5 sum of my DVD correctly before I submit a bug report.
second_exodous
Baby Hen

Postby micia » Wed Oct 14, 2009 16:27

That's good to hear! :D

When you find a solution to your problem mark the thread as solved editing
your first post, appending to the subject [Solved], so other users will have a solution
ready for them, if they encounter this problem.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby second_exodous » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:37

Well, it appears it was my fault, or my DVD burners rather. The MD5 sum didn't match. I'm still putting [Solved] on it though. I have two other computers that have burners, I'll try to burn with them. I burned all copies in Ubuntu so I'll also try using this burner in SL and see how it works out. Right now I'm downloading the KDE version, haven't used KDE since 4.1, so I'll give it a try and see if I can get that iso burned correctly.
second_exodous
Baby Hen

Re: 5.0 install freezes on formatting disk [Solved]

Postby vampirecoffee » Tue Oct 27, 2009 0:47

If your DVD burner is still having problems, you can also try making a bootable USB stick using unetbootin. It's how I installed on my laptop.
Sabayon: Thinkpad T61 w/ Core2Duo 2.4 GHz, nVidia Quadro 140M
Other Sabayon: Homebuilt Intel Core2Duo 3.0 GHz, nVidia GeForce 8600
vampirecoffee
Young Hen

Previous

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**