5.0 install freezes on formatting disk [Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

5.0 install freezes on formatting disk [Solved]

Postby second_exodous » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:27

I've updated the installer and it says it updated, oh, and I'm trying to install through both the graphical install and install after the LiveDVD environment starts up.

Basically after updating the installer and going though all the names and passwords and such it gets to the Formatting Drive and freezes. I'm completely wiping a 1 TB drive for the install, my second drive under my Ubuntu drive. I unplug my ubuntu drive so Sabayon doesn't even see it.

Right now I'm trying the Gnome 5.0 x86 DVD, I'm downloading the amd64 Gnome DVD right now, not sure if that will work.

I have a AMD machine:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz
ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
ATI Radeon HD 3300 built-in 128MB DDR3 1333 SidePort Memory
4GB of memory

The video card is integrated, it worked fine on Sabayon 4.2 and under Ubuntu.

I did try to format it in ubuntu in case Sabayon had a problem getting rid of the partitions on it but it still freezes in the same spot.
Last edited by second_exodous on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:41, edited 2 times in total.
second_exodous
Baby Hen

Re: 5.0 install freezes on formatting disk

Postby micia » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:32

Most of these problems come out from a corrupted ISO or a bad burn,
did you check the md5sum?

http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Checking_the_integrity_of_a_LiveCD_or_LiveDVD
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby second_exodous » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:58

I checked the iso image, the md5 checks out, but I'm in Ubuntu and I have no idea how to check the md5 sums of DVDs. I'll google it, but I reburned it after I checked the iso image and still no luck.

Edit: Ok, wow, I just had the wrong path, I needed to do /dev/cdrom2 not /dev/cdrom, tab wasn't working for some reason. Anyway, yeah, the md5 didn't check out. I've never had this problem, how do I make sure the burn keeps, or comes up with, or whatever, md5 sum?
second_exodous
Baby Hen

Postby micia » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:14

You should download the iso file, verify the md5sum of the downloaded file,
if it is good, burn the iso file, burning the iso at a low speed (generally the lowest possible
is chosen) should decrease the possibility to get a bad burn.

Some burning software allow to check the md5sum of the burnt CD/DVD to verify that
the copy is good.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby second_exodous » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:27

The default burner in ubuntu doesn't give me a lot of options so I'm installing k3b to get it burned and tested. I've never had a problem with burning Linux isos but this is a new burner for me so I wouldn't be surprised if that is the problem. I'll try with k3b and report back.
second_exodous
Baby Hen

Postby micia » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:34

Just to clarify:
To check the md5sum of the iso, as you can read on the wiki link, you can use:
Code: Select all
md5sum downloaded_iso_file.iso

and compare the output with the one on the Sabayon mirrors,
those files are in the form of:
Sabayon-version.iso.md5

and contain the expected output from the above command.

The md5sum command should be available on any Linux distro.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby second_exodous » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:57

Yeah, I figured it out, the command line was giving me a different md5 from the DVD, and I checked the iso and it was wrong also. The funny thing is is the iso changed just from moving it from a USB stick to the HD, the iso on the thumb drive was still good. I re-moved it onto my desktop, still bad. Deleted the iso image from off of my desktop and moved the good iso from my thumb drive again and this time copied correctly. . .

Wow, I didn't know that this was that big of deal. I burned from the good iso on my desktop and ran this command:

md5sum /dev/cdrom2

This still does not return the correct md5. K3b detected an error so I reburned it and this time k3b says it is ok. I'm going to try this then I'll try different media if it doesn't work. I'm using a DVD+RW right now and I'll just try another one, if that doesn't work I'll try a normal DVD+R.

I have my fingers crossed.
second_exodous
Baby Hen

Postby micia » Wed Oct 14, 2009 13:34

I don't think that:
md5sum /dev/cdrom2

will ever return the correct md5, follow the method 1 from the wiki article
to check a CD/DVD.

[EDIT] It is not required to execute the commands from a Sabayon system, you can proceed also
from another Linux system (ignoring "boot SL as usual" from the step 'a').
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby second_exodous » Wed Oct 14, 2009 13:53

Well, I'm attempting to install it on my main computer now. I noticed that it freezes when it formats the HD, but I am formatting a 1 TB drive, so is it possible that it may freeze for a drive this big? The activity light for my HD is lit up, so maybe its just formatting. I'm going to leave it for a while, hopefully it doesn't fry my HD if this isn't the case, but I might as well try.

I'll let it go for a while like I said and then do the md5 testing again.
second_exodous
Baby Hen

Postby micia » Wed Oct 14, 2009 14:02

The size should not be a problem, and if K3b did not report any issue with the burn I doubt
that it has gone bad, if the iso file was good.

You should only ensure that the installer was updated correctly (you need an internet connection to do that) and
it should work fine.
If the the installer keeps having issues formatting that drive (in this case I would post a bug report about it), you
could use GParted to format it (available in the live session), then use the existing partitions when installing.
micia
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**