Critical Install Error x86 5.0 Gnome [Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Critical Install Error x86 5.0 Gnome [Solved]

Postby EBennett » Mon Oct 05, 2009 20:18

Hello all, I have gotten a critical installation error while installing x86 5.0 Gnome from DVD. Here is what I have tried:
I have reburned dvd (at slowest speed), checked md5 (integrity good), tried the cheat code for nvidia driver, and it stops at same spot in the install. It appears to be an error with my graphics card, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

The top progress bar is at 100.0% "Please update your repositories now in order to remove this message!". The bottom progress bar contains the text "Postremove: x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-185.18.31#2.6.31-sabayon". I saved the error log.

Code: Select all
Component: Sabayon Linux Installer
Version: 1.0
Summary: TB9d78d6af slUtils.py:301:installPackage:AttributeError: 'EntropyInstallerInterface' object has no attribute 'add_tbz2_to_repos'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/gui.py", line 1100, in handleRenderCallback
    self.currentWindow.renderCallback()
  File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/iw/progress_gui.py", line 162, in renderCallback
    self.intf.icw.nextClicked()
  File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/gui.py", line 947, in nextClicked
    self.dispatch.gotoNext()
  File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 216, in gotoNext
    self.moveStep()
  File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 284, in moveStep
    rc = apply(func, self.bindArgs(args))
  File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/sabayon/installer.py", line 243, in doInstall
    rc = slTools.installPackage(instPath+'/'+mytbz2)
  File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/sabayon/slUtils.py", line 301, in installPackage
    rc, atomsfound = self.Entropy.add_tbz2_to_repos(tbz2)
AttributeError: 'EntropyInstallerInterface' object has no attribute 'add_tbz2_to_repos'

Local variables in innermost frame:
self: <sabayon.slUtils.Tools instance at 0xa6b4f6c>
chroot: /mnt/sabayon
root:
tbz2: /mnt/sabayon/x11-drivers:nvidia-drivers-173.14.20-r1#2.6.31-sabayon~0.tbz2

My system is as follows:
CPU: AMD Duron 1.79ghz
RAM: 512
Graphics card: 128MB Nvidia FX 5200
HD: 120GB (chose auto partition option)
Last edited by EBennett on Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:34, edited 1 time in total.
EBennett
Baby Hen

Re: Critical Install Error x86 5.0 Gnome

Postby Wolfdale » Mon Oct 05, 2009 22:34

Not sure if this will help (it did on my machine, but I got a different error), but have you updated the installer? (click on the "Update Installer" button inside the installer)
Wolfdale
Baby Hen

Postby EBennett » Mon Oct 05, 2009 22:45

Yes I did try the Update. I also ran the Text based installation option to see if that helped, and it ran to the point where it says to restart the machine (it seemed to me as if it completed installation) although, when I restarted the computer, the bootloaded didn't pop up, and windows 7 loaded. (I'm dual booting). So I'm guessing it never got to the point where it installed GRUB and left the MBR unchanged.

According to that error report it seems like it might be graphics card driver related (I don't really understand the variables etc in it though). Maybe I'll try a different card later and see. Hopefully someone here knows what could cause that, or some other things to try. I submitted it to the bugtracker so hopefully, if it IS a bug, it will be fixed and available on the installer update.

Thanks for the suggestion though!
EBennett
Baby Hen

Postby EBennett » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:21

I took the Nvidia fx 5200 graphics card out of my machine and hooked my monitor to the onboard graphics card (not sure what chip set it is) and restarted the installation. It successfully completed! Although, when I restarted the computer it booted straight into windows 7 (even though I configured it to load GRUB during install). So I reloaded install dvd and chose to repair the boot options. I put the MBR on sba to contain the boot settings. It works like a charm now.

I'm not sure why it didn't configure the boot settings right the first time. I'm not sure if my nvidia graphics card isn't supported, or if there is just a problem with the package that is included in this build. I will reinstall my graphics card and try to manually install the drivers tomorrow. I will update this thread as necessary in hopes that someone with a similar problem will know what to do.
EBennett
Baby Hen

Postby EBennett » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:11

Oh, and apparently the people that try and fix the bugs that are submitted to bugs.sabayonlinux.org said I posted a duplicate thread and doing an Installer Update will fix the problem. Well, it didn't. I have tried that multiple times. So maybe same symptom, different cause? I'm not sure. I will hopefully get a chance to try and install my nvidia card tomorrow and see if there are any errors. I will update this thread.
EBennett
Baby Hen

Postby EBennett » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:34

I tried it once more this afternoon to see if maybe the installation patch was released for this error. Graphical Installation worked without a hitch. Case closed. Thanks to the good people of the Sabayon development team!
EBennett
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**