Installing sabayon on sdb (second hard disk)

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Installing sabayon on sdb (second hard disk)

Postby xaber » Mon Oct 05, 2009 13:20

Hi there! I have a question. I have a pc with 2 hard disks: sda and sdb (the fisrt is ide and the second is sata). Sda is primary and has win xp installed on it. If I install sabayon on sdb as a a secondary hard disk (can I eventually set sdb as primary salve?), where do I have to install grub? I think it should be installed on sda, cause the mbr is there, right?
xaber
Simple Hen

Re: Installing sabayon on sdb (second hard disk)

Postby Nicod » Mon Oct 05, 2009 15:50

Grub must be on the "active" HDD, meens the one your BIOS will try to boot on. Should be sda.
So, yes you're right :)

Nico
Business lapotop : Lenovo R61 (T8100/2Gb/Quadro 140): WinXP Sp3 / Sabayon 4.2
Home computer : AMD64 3000+ : WinXP Sp3 / Sabayon 4.2
Firewall : Dell 600SC : Astaro Linux 4
Server : Xeon 3040 (to be setup when i have time : 4 Xen VM : mail/web/file/VoIP)
Nicod
Baby Hen

Postby totedati » Mon Oct 05, 2009 20:44

xaber wrote:Hi there! I have a question. I have a pc with 2 hard disks: sda and sdb (the fisrt is ide and the second is sata). Sda is primary and has win xp installed on it. If I install sabayon on sdb as a a secondary hard disk (can I eventually set sdb as primary salve?), where do I have to install grub? I think it should be installed on sda, cause the mbr is there, right?

right ... but not quite .... :twisted: every physical hdd can have a distinct mbr in his first sector but in bios you can select only one hdd at a time from where you boot ...

so is you choice what to do ... you can leave windoze mbr from first hdd in place, put grub mbr to second hdd and select in bios to boot from second hdd ...
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby xaber » Tue Oct 06, 2009 15:24

And if I install grub in the first mbr (the one in sda, the windows disk), everything should go just right, shouldn't it? I shall have a grub boot screen with both sabayon and win xp...
xaber
Simple Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**