Challenging install - from HDD ISO [Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Challenging install - from HDD ISO [Solved]

Postby Dulwithe » Thu Sep 03, 2009 13:47

Hello All,

I've tried Sabayon in the past, and been quite impressed. However, for the past 2 years, I have mostly used PCLOS and Mandriva.

However, Mandriva is crashing terribly with my 2 main boxes these days, and I have to try something different. So, here I am, back to play with Sabayon for a while.

Here is my challenge...

I have a Toshiba R-100 Portege notebook (as small as a mac-book air, but 4 years earlier). Anyway, it does NOT have an internal optical drive, NOR can it boot from a USB optical drive (except for a proprietary one that costs about 300 bucks or more, that is probably not even available anymore).

Anyway, long story short, I have a small partition that I use for livecd iso images, and I edit grub's menu.lst so I can boot MOST live cds. But, depending upon the livecd technology used, some prove more challenging (even impossible) to boot.

I tried booting sabayon with the below menu.lst entry, to no avail. It rolls along okay until an error saying something like "can' find" or "not valid" root device. Specify the proper root device, or type "shell" to drop into a shell.

Can anyone help me boot the sabayon live cd (dvd) from my hd0,6 partition??

Thanks.

D.

HERE IS MY GRUB ENTRY (taken from the link below):

http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... _with_Grub

title Sabayon
kernel (hd0,6)/boot/sabayon root=/dev/ram0 aufs init=/linuxrc cdroot=/dev/hda7 looptype=squashfs max_loop=64 loop=/livecd.squashfs vga=0x318 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 verbose scandelay --
initrd (hd0,6)/boot/sabayon.igz
Last edited by Dulwithe on Thu Sep 03, 2009 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
Dulwithe
Baby Hen

Re: Challenging install - from HDD ISO

Postby Thev00d00 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 16:14

you will need to extract the iso to a folder. You cant just boot the iso afaik
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Re: Challenging install - from HDD ISO

Postby Dulwithe » Thu Sep 03, 2009 17:33

I'm not that much of a noob... ;-) My post states that I can boot most images from my small "livecd" partition. Of course, I always extract the iso's to this partition before editting grub.

I actually found the answer here:

http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... _The_Image

Although I didn't find it by searching. I found it by randomly reading non-related posts - specifically something like "what to do before posting". The link above was given.

Thanks.

D.
Dulwithe
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**