How Do I Boot my New Installation?

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

How Do I Boot my New Installation?

Postby Beyond Aphelion » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:37

Okay, so everything ran perfectly that normally doesn't. I just purchased a hard drive specifically for Sabayon 4. I downloaded the iso file, burned it to a dvd, booted from the dvd drive, and chose to install Sabayon to my new hard drive. The installation went perfectly. At the end I was asked to reboot. I did.

Now what?

Upon rebooting, my computer is acting as if I never installed Sabayon, and after the reformatting of my hard drive, Vista doesn't recognize it any more. Of course, I can see the partitions I made in the installer using the "Computer Management" tool in Vista, but the only thing I can do with them (as far as I can tell) is to delete them.

The answer to this must be simple. Can anybody help?
Beyond Aphelion
Baby Hen

Re: How Do I Boot my New Installation?

Postby Beyond Aphelion » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:34

Okay, so I attempted some software I found called EasyBCD, which basically allows you to add entries to the Windows Vista Boot Manager on the fly like this. Unfortunately it didn't work:

I tried using the first, smallest partition as I was confident that was where the bootloader resided, but when that didn't work, out of desperation, I tried to add an entry (as seen in the picture above) using the swap partition I had made. This didn't work either. I am now in the process of re-installing through the live DVD, but any pointers would be helpful as I am unsure of what exactly I should be doing differently this time around...

Should I do the automatic partitioning? As far as I can remember, there was very little in the ways I could have gone about this differently during the install, but I'll see what I can do.
Beyond Aphelion
Baby Hen

Postby Beyond Aphelion » Sun Feb 22, 2009 13:15

Okay, so I made one critical change in the installer by choosing this:

As opposed to before when I used the master boot record. I figured, if anything, it might get the EasyBCD software to work. No, it did not work.

I have a couple of ideas in mind still. After that, I'm hoping somebody here can help me. I'll keep you updated....
Beyond Aphelion
Baby Hen

Postby Beyond Aphelion » Sun Feb 22, 2009 13:32

My next attempt is to change the boot priority order within my BIOS for each of my 3 hard drives. I recall having done this before... hmm.

Yes. Indeed, this fixed the problem.... ALMOST. I am now getting the Sabayon bootloader with the options I specified within the installation. The weird thing is, because I decided to add both the 64 and 32 bit drives, it got wonky on me such that if I choose the 32-bit one that I added, it gives me the dreaded:

"BOOTMGR is missing"
"Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

Otherwise, if I choose the 64-bit option (that was the regular Windows boot option given in the Sabayon installer before I renamed it to add my other drive) it redirects me to the Windows Boot Manager that I used to see. And from there can happily pick either the 32-bit or 64-bit Vista. This last weird issue is probably my fault, since I decided to add an entry to the drive, not knowing what the result would be. So I guess all that needs to be done now is to remove the unneeded entry in the bootloader and I'll be ready to go... Now I just have to figure out how to do that in Sabayon.

Mmmm. Triple Booting. Delicious.
Beyond Aphelion
Baby Hen

Postby chutchick123 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 14:32

uhm...dude... just read through your posts... have been getting the same prob. Will try that later tonight after work. :D
chutchick123
Baby Hen

Postby DarkManDoose » Fri Aug 28, 2009 13:12

I have a problem, I have an old laptop with a bad CD/DVDROM and I would to install Sabayon from the hard drive. Is it possible to install it from the hard drive?
DarkManDoose
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Aug 28, 2009 15:31

DarkManDoose wrote:I have a problem, I have an old laptop with a bad CD/DVDROM and I would to install Sabayon from the hard drive. Is it possible to install it from the hard drive?

You should be starting a new topic as your post has nothing to do with this thread, please see

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=8518
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**