Stopping on the "Waiting for uevents to be processed"

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Stopping on the "Waiting for uevents to be processed"

Postby Vis211 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:21

On one of the computers installation/start with LiveCD on this line stops. The version - 4 and 4-r1. On others Computers such problem is not present...
Vis211
Baby Hen

Re: Stopping on the "Waiting for uevents to be processed"

Postby styla » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:01

I have the same problem on my Samsung Q45 Laptop which I have since yesterday (yay!).

I installed Widows XP fairly successfully for compatibility reasons and wanted to go Sabayon next. The boot CD (4.0-r1 x86) hangs at that exact position, no matter what kernel boot options from the Cheat Codes page from the SL wiki I add.

I went ahead and tried multiple different boot cds. both x86 and x86_64 versions of both 3.4 mini and 4.0-r1 and the x86_64 version of 3.4f hang waiting for uevents to be processed. Hang as in: the cursor (the little underscore thingy) that blinks while booting stops blinking (it either stays on or off, whichever it is at that moment), and the caps lock key doesn't change the led any more and I have to unpower the laptop to restart it (holding down the power button for 5secs).

I also tried different other distro cd's/dvd's that I had lying around. I did a debian netinstall but I disliked the hardware support (wouldn't even find my wireless) and the feel of apt. xubuntu stuck somewhere in the boot process, too, but I couldn't find out where. I was able, however, to boot into a gentoo minimal install cd. I then booted the (fully functional) SL DVD on my main computer, with most hard drives unplugged to have it as simple as possible, installed on a spare hard drive with my desired hostname and config, then logged into the gentoo livecd on the laptop, formatted the linux partition and copied the installation over:
Code: Select all
sabayon /mnt/gentoo #  tar -cf- * | ssh ${laptop} tar -C /mnt/gentoo -xvf-

with 9.7G used space, this took a while, obviously, but it worked ok. I then adjusted the UUIDs in /boot/grub/grub.conf and /etc/fstab and figured I'd try rebooting. It stuck. Again. Same spot: "waiting for uevents to be processed". Which, by the way, is a point in the bootup process at which pressing "I" for interactive boot mode doesn't work yet.

So... is there any way to cause the bootup process to be more verbose in what happens while uevents are being processed? maybe something I could do to ... bypass that? or at least limit what it does?

I really WANT SL to work on that laptop box. Alternative would be bare gentoo, but I dread forcing that cute little CPU to compile an entire system. I like the way SL combines gentoo with out-of-the-box functionality, which is why my main computer is running SL now, too.

Any help GREATLY appreciated!
styla
Baby Hen

Postby styla » Sat Jan 17, 2009 16:05

alright... a little further down the road...

I tried the safe mode of the "hacked" install and noticed that it worked. by a lot of trial and error I found out that it boots with acpi=off flag added to the kernel line. but you don't want a laptop with acpi, do you?! :-/
styla
Baby Hen

Postby styla » Sat Jan 17, 2009 16:21

and then... :D

I found this German ubuntu thread which told me that on my q45, I have to "blacklist video" in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist lo and behold -- it's booting!
styla
Baby Hen

Postby precrack » Mon Dec 28, 2009 14:21

Okay I understand the last reply was almost a year ago on this subject but I decided to try my luck.. I also am having my computer totally lock up on waiting for uevents to be processed and I would just like a step by step how to to fix this issue. I'm having it also with Pentoo linux also so I am really desperate to get this resolved. Right now SL is on a 8gb flash drive cause I don't have a CDROM. Is there a way I can edit the data on the flash drive? I'm using windows tiny 7 right now.
precrack
Baby Hen

Postby DontPanic » Mon Dec 28, 2009 19:10

Please tell us a little information about the hardware configuration you are having trouble on.

Also, which version of Sabayon are you trying to install?
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby precrack » Mon Dec 28, 2009 23:58

It's having this issue on every version of Sabayon, Gentoo and also Pentoo.
I wanted to get the latest gaming version going and that's what I have currently on the 8GB flashdrive.
I went to my friends house and he let me try out my flashdrive on his acer laptop and it booted perfectly fine which is telling me I have some hardware conflict. I already known this from what others have said however my question was how did they edit a system that don't boot to fix it and if I'm wrong about what I'm thinking please explain and pardon my lack of knowledge I'm fairly new to linux.

HP Mini 110:
Processor: Intel Atom N270 1.60GHz 512KB 533MHz
RAM: 2GB DDR2 533MHz
Hard Disk: 160GB 5400rpm
System Base: Intel 945GM Express Chipset
Graphics: Onboard Intel GMA 950
Wireless: is a broadcom chipset
precrack
Baby Hen

Postby DontPanic » Tue Dec 29, 2009 0:40

Have you tried any of the boot cheat codes such as 'pnpbios=off' or 'acpi=off'?

More here: Boot parameters and workarounds for problematic Hardware
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby precrack » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:25

That's one of the things I don't understand. How do you enter those commands? The system wont boot in any mode that I select even text and safe mode.
precrack
Baby Hen

Postby DontPanic » Tue Dec 29, 2009 19:00

What method are you using to prepare your Flashdrive to boot Sabayon?

Personally, I recommend unetbootin, but there are other alternatives.

Whatever method you use, you should be provided with an initial boot selection screen that will allow you to select such options as 'default', 'install', 'console', 'safe mode', etc...

You should also have the ability to edit these options before selection, where you can add the boot cheat codes.
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Next

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**