Installing on a Laptop without a DVD drive

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Installing on a Laptop without a DVD drive

Postby KCKitsune » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:07

OK everybody, I've searched but I didn't find what I was looking for. Here's my question:

I've got a Toshiba Protege 3500 without a DVD drive, but I have access to a laptop with a functional DVD drive and a spare 2.5" HDD. What I want to know is if I can install it on the other computer and then transfer that hard drive to the Protege. Would there be any problems with this and how would I get it configured for the Protege.
KCKitsune
Baby Hen

Re: Installing on a Laptop without a DVD drive

Postby crisandbea » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:19

KCKitsune wrote:OK everybody, I've searched but I didn't find what I was looking for. Here's my question:

I've got a Toshiba Protege 3500 without a DVD drive, but I have access to a laptop with a functional DVD drive and a spare 2.5" HDD. What I want to know is if I can install it on the other computer and then transfer that hard drive to the Protege. Would there be any problems with this and how would I get it configured for the Protege.

you look http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... _The_Image
crisandbea
Old Dear Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:20

wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby KCKitsune » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:14

I'm sorry, but the drive in question does not have a linux distro on it. It's a virgin drive. I don't think the steps described would work.
KCKitsune
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Dec 11, 2008 16:01

You don't need to have Linux already installed on the drive in the Toshiba Protege in order to use the procedure given in the SL Wiki article, but you do need a CD-ROM drive at least, as you would use a LiveCD to perform the procedure. Does your Protege have a CD-ROM drive? If not, then, providing the 2.5" HDD you mention is compatible with both the Protege and the laptop with DVD drive, then you could try to do what you asked, i.e. temporarily install the spare 2.5" HDD in the other laptop and use a LiveCD/DVD to install Linux on it and then follow the procedure in the SL Wiki.

However, as the Protege has USB ports, an alternative to the above would be for you to install a compact Linux such as Puppy Linux or Damn Small Linux on a pen drive (Google throws up lots of pages with instructions on how to do this from eiher Linux (HDD or LiveCD/DVD) or Windows -- here are just a couple: Installing to a USB Flash Drive, Puppy Linux on USB flash Pen drive) and use that to format and partition the drive in the Protege and then download the SL ISO directly onto the Protege via the Web and follow the instructions in the SL Wiki article to set up the Protege to boot from the ISO. Note that the gparted application is used to partition and format drives.

EDIT: The following article may also help you if you have Windows installed on the HDD of the Protege:

Install any Linux distro directly from hard disk without burning any DVD

There are a lot of pages on the Web about doing this kind of thing.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby veelos » Sun Jan 04, 2009 17:26

I've done everything as it says on the wiki but when I try to boot it:

Code: Select all
mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /newroot/mnt/livecd failed: Invalid argument
!! Failed to $1; failing back to the shell..
veelos
Simple Hen

Postby veelos » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:18

Ok I downloaded 3.5.1 and it works! Why doesn't 4? Anyways, I rather like to have 3.5.1 than Ubuntu on Wubi :D Could someone help me (or modify the wiki) so I could install 4? And is there a way to update from 3.5.1 -> 4 without burning a DVD? (Drive still broken).
veelos
Simple Hen

Postby veelos » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:00

Oh well.. It worked fine except install failed when creating partitions :P
veelos
Simple Hen

install a DVD without a DVD burner?

Postby stemp » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:24

Is it possible to install (or even run) Sabayon 4 from it's DVD ISO image? I was thinking that there might be a way to boot first to a Live CD, and then to the Sabayon ISO, but I can't figure out how to go about doing this. I don't have a DVD burner, nor do I have any blank DVDs. I can already access the ISO through Virtualbox, and I like what I see, but running two OSes on a laptop at the same time puts a real strain on system resources :D Also, has anyone got Sabayon installed and working on an old IBM ThinkPad R51? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
stemp
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:32

merged

dvd drives and dvd-r's are dirt cheap

:D
wolfden
Sharecropper

Next

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**