Anaconda and partitioning. [kinda Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

bakters
Young Hen

Anaconda and partitioning. [kinda Solved]

Post by bakters » Sat Jul 19, 2008 13:40

Well, I have a problem, which I'm not even sure is solvable, so I thought I'll ask.

Situation is as follows. I currently have three disks in my computer, Windows XP somewhere on sda, root filesystem of Gentoo on sbb and some lvm2 volume where is my current /usr mount point (among other unrelated filesystems). The problem is that in order to install Sabayon I must be able to choose /dev/sdb5 as my root partition and /dev/mapper/usr as my /usr mount point. I can't do that. Anaconda fails in recognizing my sdb drive and doesn't even show anything in appropriate dialog window. In GUI Anaconda even won't allow me to use my lvm2 partitions as mount points without suggesting wiping them out first (stupid installer, it can handle them fine in text mode).

The question is, how could I make it work anyway? Is it possible to run Anaconda in such a way that would allow me manually mount partitions to /mnt/gentoo/whatever and just let it copy the damn files? In text mode I have no access to virtual terminal by default, in graphical mode I have no way of pausing the installation so I could mount what I need mounted wherever I want it. It's so frustrating. What developers of Anaconda possibly thought when they made it this way? Do they really expect to be able to handle properly all possible configurations?

Anyway, I'm open to ideas. I'd rather avoid repartitioning my drives, as they contain several hundreds of GB of data. I'd rather avoid manually tweaking this Gentoo install to convert it into Sabayon. It'll be plenty of work...

But if it's what it takes, I'll do it. So what do you guys think?
Last edited by bakters on Sun Jul 20, 2008 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

rand.a
Growing Hen

Re: Anaconda and partitioning.

Post by rand.a » Sat Jul 19, 2008 19:28

I'm pretty sure it always "suggests" formatting a filesystem before using it for the install, but you should still be able to turn down the suggestion and continue. Now, the real question is, why are you trying to use an existing /usr volume for sabayon? If it already contains data from another linux, it would not be very smart to tell sabayon to install to it. On the other hand, if it does not contain data, why cant you just format it?

Also, why are you installing Sabayon along side Gentoo? The whole idea behind Sabayon is for an easy to install Gentoo, if you already have Gentoo, i fail to see the point. You are basically just installing another Gentoo just to have an extra overlay.

bakters
Young Hen

Re: Anaconda and partitioning.

Post by bakters » Sun Jul 20, 2008 21:15

rand.a wrote:I'm pretty sure it always "suggests" formatting a filesystem before using it for the install, but you should still be able to turn down the suggestion and continue. Now, the real question is, why are you trying to use an existing /usr volume for sabayon?
I need it because I lack space on my root partition. I need just the space, I don't care about the data there.
If it already contains data from another linux, it would not be very smart to tell sabayon to install to it. On the other hand, if it does not contain data, why cant you just format it?
It is an lvm2 volume. Text install will allow me to format it, graphic install tells me something about creating a partition for a lvm volume, from which I gather that it wants me to start from scratch, that is erase all my data in all lvm volumes. Graphic installer won't allow me to simply use those volumes as mount points. Also text install doesn't recognize at all two of my three disks. It's quite a shame, when you think about it, but the worst part is that I obviously am prevented from forcing it to just go on and doing all the work in the background by hand.
Also, why are you installing Sabayon along side Gentoo?
No alongside. I want to replace Gentoo with Sabayon. But I can't due to "features" in Anaconda I never was able to understand.
The whole idea behind Sabayon is for an easy to install Gentoo, if you already have Gentoo, i fail to see the point. You are basically just installing another Gentoo just to have an extra overlay.
Maybe for you. From my point of view I'm installing a version of Gentoo which once setup actually works *and* will be possible to upgrade six month later without going through all the hassle of typical Gentoo upgrade. 3.5 is my second version of Sabayon on my laptop and it worked as I expected. No problems for half a year and relatively easy upgrade. Now, this one version is *way* better than 3.4f mainly due to progress in entropy/equo packages. I want the same thing on my other computer. I was using Gentoo for about a decade and had finally enough some time ago.

So big thanks to developers. You did hell of a job with current release. It's just the installer and whole installation which still sucks as bad as it used to. Actually I wrote about what didn't work in a sticky thread dedicated to stabilization of 3.4f, and lucky for me I did, because *all* the issues resurfaced when I did the fresh install of 3.5 on my laptop. I had all the solutions ready. ;-)

Anyway, I think my brother found a solution. I can simply copy my working laptop installation to my desktop over the net, fix a bootloader, maybe some hardware problems and be done with it. I'm not sure if I want to, because if upgrade from a LiveDVD is not possible on this machine I may put myself in a bad situation, but I'll think about it. After all the worst which will come out of it is that I'll have a Sabayonized Gentoo box there, so nothing really scary.