Installing on an Encrypted LVM partition

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Re: Installing on an Encrypted LVM partition

Post by xlnagla » Sat Jun 07, 2008 19:09

Not quite, but that's the basic idea - it uses equo to install individual packages and has a few scripts built-in to change around configs that only apply to LiveCD stuff... but after what I've seen I don't doubt you could figure that stuff out after a few tries. If you want the installer current source it's on svn.sabayonlinux.org, that'll show you exactly what it does. Basically if you copy everything over you'll still be using aufs, have live initialization in your init scripts, still be on tmpfs, and a few other fun things that you don't really want with a normal installation. If you've got experience with catalyst or doing the sort of thing you're suggesting before it should be fine, but if you were figuring it would be kinda like just grabbing a stage3 tarball... close, but not quite.

~xlnagla

eMxyzptlk
Young Hen

Post by eMxyzptlk » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:42

all right, I will take a look at the code, I just checked out http://svn.sabayonlinux.org/slinstaller/trunk but I'll take a look at it tomorrow, I just came back home , Cheers :)

I'm currently trying something else, I used a stage3 Gentoo, pulled out the sabayon overlay and got only the kernel for now, I will compile ( not use equo ) the Gnome stuff ( I don't like KDE very much) I think it'll be as good as an installation... but once am done I'm gonna make a chroot on my storage partition just to figure out the easiest way to get this done So I could write a simple guide for others...

BTW what are the developer requirements ? I'd like to be a part of the project if that's possible...

xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Post by xlnagla » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:17

give me a few hours to introduce you on the ML and check to see if we can use you... post back in a bit.

~xlnagla

eMxyzptlk
Young Hen

Post by eMxyzptlk » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:32

Okay I joined the devel mailing list, I'm also on IRC same nickname.

xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Post by xlnagla » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:54

yeah, I'm the only awake one at the moment... we're mostly in the western European timezones. Also, if you speak french can you give those sheds some love? The French community is sorely lacking native speakers being monitored by Italian-French, English-French, and German-French speakers.

~xlnagla

eMxyzptlk
Young Hen

Post by eMxyzptlk » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:08

Yeah well me too :), I live in France it's 6AM here, usually I stay up all night on weekends..

Yeah I do speak French pretty well, and of course I'll dedicate some of my free time to the French sheds...

BTW the installation is going smooth so far, kernel was successfully installed and loaded, gnome is on it's way compiling, I should update my genkernel repository to the latest Gentoo revision including my patch... I am currently working ( while compiling ) on making an 1280x800 resolution of the sabayon splash, a lot of nowadays laptops specially Toshiba series uses the 1280x800 resolution...

guneves
Baby Hen

Post by guneves » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:49

hi guys... This is a quite new topic, comparing to the ones I've been reading. The funny thing is that I found this from google (not from forum search). The most funny is that I've been reading and searching sabayon forum and wiki for 20 hours a day, the past 13 days... And this is the first time I get to this post...

Its not only a good post (good information here), but also gave me more will to contribute and insist on my voyage on the Gentoo/Sabayon Linux.
I don't have the knowledge you guys have (unfortunately, and for now) but I can see through what you're talking about (specially after this time of intensive learning).
But thats it right... a lot of will and reading time!

I know I have not even got to the worst and better of it...
but I think I have a good idea on what I'm getting into. And I know it wont be easy, but it will not only be good, it will be the best!

As I'm reformulating everything on my box right now, and I'm still needing knowledge and testing, I'm going to set four different systems here. Including sabayon (latest bet for testing), pure gentoo (maybe with sabayon layer, but the main idea is to learn portage well), another stable linux (as to general use, still to name it), and windows for my games (well, sometime Ive got to relax!)...

I cry because I have an ATI video card, but still, I'm happy that things are evolving for ATI owners on linux now... it's still not good, but there's no comparison on what it was...
Maybe I'll be able to figure portage, gentoo, and SL not in a long time, and so use it as my stable-desktop version... (I'm good on learning and new things... lets see.. I'm an optimist! and I liked Sabayon and the people involved). And I know a gentoo based system can kick ass, but still, I'm no good at it...

anyway..this topic is an example for me :)
As I'm a natural Brazilian with good English, I plan on attending translations on spritz and sabayon wiki to Portuguese (could do Portugal and Brazil if needed) (just need to have a stable system, configured for my use).
I've got time and the will right now, so... I hope to get there soon...

to finish... I would like to thank all the Sabayon developers and the guys on IRC chat for all the info and support they gave me (eventhough sometimes they're tired of giving the same answers 4234256235 times a day, I can understand that and see the love they have on this project! The kind of love I wish on my life... I already love all too! But still, I'm just the most newbie on it!

hope to get there!
cheers!

any advice you guys might have, please just send an email or answer here (im subscribing to thi post). It would be great to have directions on whats really important to learn at each stage!

~gutavin ~tavolos

guttersnipe
Baby Hen

Post by guttersnipe » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:12

eMxyzptlk wrote:Once I finished testing/intsalling I'll post a detailed guide
I've been using gentoo for years, and I'm currently backing up my data in preparation to convert to Sabayon. I was doing some google-ing to find out how to install Sabayon with hard disk encryption, and I found this post.

eMxyzptlk,

I see it's been 7 months since this thread was started. Did you ever put together a detailed guide? I've typically done my gentoo installations from the minimal install CD, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to pull this off with just the information provided in this thread :(.

eMxyzptlk
Young Hen

Post by eMxyzptlk » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:32

No I haven't but it's fairly easy now that I think of it, but it needs a little patience, time and a new kernel, a brief HOWTO ( I'll do a more detailed one later when I have more time or a PC :( )

1- Install Sabayon from the Sabayon DVD on a normal partition scheme, try to minimize the size of the installation as much as you can
2- Boot from Gentoo minimal CD, plug-in an external Hard Drive and mount the ones you installed sabayon on.
3- Tar up everything ( I advise to use `tar czpf` ). N.B: whatever command u choose make sure to use the p flag to preserve the permissions.
4- re-partition your Hard Disk, LUKS encrypt it, put LVM upon LUKS and extract the archives you have made earlier
5- you need a new config for your kernel, not too sure of that but I bet you do, I can't check it now I don't have Linux since my lappie was stolen 2 weeks ago, but try it without if it doesn't work you need to use the Gentoo minimal disk to re-build the kernel with LUKS support.

For now this is your best bet, untill we come up with a new installer that support and LVM PV on a LUKS partition, I think it's your best bet.

If you never booted such OS, here's the Gentoo entry in this menu.lst is the one you should be using, also here's my kernel config

Good Luck.