Install works fine but desktop looks different to liveCD

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Install works fine but desktop looks different to liveCD

Postby pcbodger » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:55

Hi all

First time post.

I got the CD off the front of Linuzx User which I bought yesterday on a whim. I have to say that I am well impressed with Sabayon. it is the only distro of many that that I have tried which detects my Belkin wifi out of the box and it looks great!

I have not had a problem with the install (took ages mind you) but I chose KDE as the desktop and when it all finished, the desktop looked a lot different to the live CD (no top menu bar, the start menu worked differently and was more messy, tooltips for lower menu bar lookd different, wifi not readily visible etc.). It is a shame because the live CD format was a lot nicer to use.

I could not see any options beyond choosingKDE / GNOME etc. It is probably so obvious but what am I missing. do I need to do something on the install or after to make it look line gthe live CD?

Cheers

PCBodger
pcbodger
Baby Hen

Re: Install works fine but desktop looks different to liveCD

Postby wolfden » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:57

the install should be identical to the livecd - are you running 3.4?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby pcbodger » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:37

Wups - not sure.

At work so cant post screen shots - but it was the one off the front of the Linux magazine this week.

Will post shotties tonight.
pcbodger
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:43

If it's Linux User & Developer then it's the 3.4a LiveDVD. If it's Linux Magazine then it's the 3.4e LiveDVD (although someone posted in the forum recently that theirs reports it's 3.4f when installed from the magazine LiveDVD).
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby pcbodger » Fri Oct 26, 2007 22:49

Probs was that due to a slow box (only a P600 :shock:) I wasn't setting the default environment - once I waited for the box to catch up I selected the default environment and it worked perfectly GUI wise.

What went runny (and interesting enough same problemd with PC-BS) was that when I tried to log on with the account other than admin that I created on the install it moaned about missing configs.

Gonna try and create accounts post imp to see if that works....
pcbodger
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**