SL PE 1.1 x86_64 installation stalled [Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

SL PE 1.1 x86_64 installation stalled [Solved]

Postby rei4dan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:05

Hi!

I was trying to install SL PE 1.1 x86_64 on my laptop ASUS Z53Sc (C2D T7300, RAM 2GB, HDD 190GB ATA FUJITSU MHY2200B, M/B Version: F3Sc). Dualbooting with Vista.

Downloaded with torrent, checked iso md5, burning verified and disk's md5sum checked.

With GParted prepared 100MB ext2 /boot, 2GB swap, 2x 40GB ext3 for / and /home (dev/sda6-9). Updated installer. Selected manual partitioning an specified mountpoints for /boot, swap, / and /home. selected advanced configuration for grub and put it on first sector of /boot.

Installation stalled after:
Files Installation complete - 100%
Total progress - 74.95%

nothing happened next.. all I could do was reboot. At first there where just those files installed, tried to fix grub, but Error: / not found!
Besides things (firefox, installer?) tend to hung and some precesses can't be killed if I stay in LiveDVD for some time.

checking partitions:
/dev/sda6 ext2 /boot1
/dev/sda7 swap
/dev/sda8 ext3 /1
/dev/sda9 ext3 /home1

And now my computer is bootable only when I put SL LiveDVD in cdrom. :(

Besides SL 3.4f couldnt shutdown/reboot, hanged with desktop acceleration..
SL PE rebooting.. but there are some errors in unmounting:
/newroot//mnt/livecd/ not found
/newroot/mnt/cdrom/ not found
/union not found
On startup:
pata-pcmcia module not found

It seems that pointer to grub (first sector of /boot) is set to DVD's and HD partition labels are wrong... How could I fix this?

Any help would be appreciated. Tanx!
Last edited by rei4dan on Fri Oct 26, 2007 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
rei4dan
Baby Hen

Re: SL PE 1.1 x86_64 installation stalled

Postby Dark_MaGe » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:17

ok let's start from this:
I think this might be a problem with your acpi, laptop often tend to be tricky on linux, so let's boot pressing f5 and adding acpi=off noapic, or even better starting with safe settings (just belove some lines at boot you'll find it), then try reinstalling again I think you can also switch for an update since all the files are already inside it, but to be 100% restart the installation again, if this time hangs...try writing somewhere the output of dmesg, I think this might be a wrong read on the dvd more than a real issue...if that doesn't work and you want to get back to your windows simply put your windows cd on it and access press R, when it logs to c\windows simply write fixmbr and it should go smooth, if you shouldn't have your windows cd for any reason you can download a cd tool like "ubcd" (google for it) and use the tools included in it to restore MBR

from a site
o to http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
Download and install the latest version of EasyBCD (currently at 1.52) on Windows XP.

Run EasyBCD from Windows XP, and use the Bootloader Management screen and press "reinstall vista bootloader" then reboot when it's done.
Dark_MaGe
Your Farmer

Postby rei4dan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:42

Thanx for your reply!

I think I tried safe mode before, but I'll do that again and get dmesg. Tried upgrade and repair from both graphical and text installer, but without success.. Can't find / no such file or folder
And thats right, because partition labels on HD have now appended "1".

I have only shadow copy of win from ASUS :evil:

Have been heard about EasyBCD, thanx!

Previously tried installation 3 times.. all times the same scenario.. haven't tried repartition HD from beginning yet.

*Edited*

Ok, run in safe mode and installation finished :) but it seems that GRUB still is not properly configured.. on reboot after installation loaded liveDVD again (without it would not start at all). But this time partition labels were right.
Looked in /boot/grub/grub.conf but couldn't read that file (example file was readable). In command line grub.conf was not in /boot/grub at all (su from sabayonuser).

Should I try to run installation again and try to repair? Was not sure what exactly reinstall grub mean.. will it be put on MBT? Because I didn't see any advanced options there. Or should I manually create that grub.conf?

I guess dmesg output is not needed anymore?
rei4dan
Baby Hen

Postby rei4dan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 13:37

Ok found that grub.conf from root account. but I'm not sure it is correct. Bootloaders menu din't appear.

grub.conf:

default=0
timeout=6
splashimage=(hd0,5)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Sabayon Linux x86-64 1.1 Standart Edition
root (hd0,5)
krenel /kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.23-sabayon-r1 root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk=8192 real_root=UUID=2bfcc4d0-ec02-43cb-87dd-e0ebb995627e quiet init=/linuxrc splash=silent,theme:sabayon vga=788 res=1024x768 refresh=60 hsync=43-51 pci=routeirq pci=routeirq irqpoll noddc CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 dodmraid pci=nomsi
initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.23-sabayon-r1

title Other
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +1
rei4dan
Baby Hen

Postby Dark_MaGe » Fri Oct 26, 2007 14:03

rei4dan wrote:Ok found that grub.conf from root account. but I'm not sure it is correct. Bootloaders menu din't appear.

grub.conf:

default=0
timeout=6
splashimage=(hd0,5)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Sabayon Linux x86-64 1.1 Standart Edition
root (hd0,5)
krenel /kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.23-sabayon-r1 root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk=8192 real_root=UUID=2bfcc4d0-ec02-43cb-87dd-e0ebb995627e quiet init=/linuxrc splash=silent,theme:sabayon vga=788 res=1024x768 refresh=60 hsync=43-51 pci=routeirq pci=routeirq irqpoll noddc CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 dodmraid pci=nomsi

title Other
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +1

does it stop when it looks for root? if so you can try using instead of real_root=UUID you can try real_root=/dev/sdaX where X stay for your root partition that i suppose is 7 or 6 depends on how you configured the HD
Dark_MaGe
Your Farmer

Postby rei4dan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 15:27

No it does not stop for a second.. It immediately tries cdrom (bios set to HD), if it is empty then it asks to specify correct boot device or put media in cdrom and press a key..
I still think that it is MBT that is pointing to cdrom, not sure how to fix though.
rei4dan
Baby Hen

Postby Dark_MaGe » Fri Oct 26, 2007 15:38

check the bios settings for it
Dark_MaGe
Your Farmer

Postby eshum » Fri Oct 26, 2007 16:58

"With GParted prepared 100MB ext2 /boot, 2GB swap, 2x 40GB ext3 for / and /home (dev/sda6-9). Updated installer. Selected manual partitioning an specified mountpoints for /boot, swap, / and /home. selected advanced configuration for grub and put it on first sector of /boot." I have read in several threads that you are never ever supposed to repartition a hard drive with Vista installed on it with gparted. You must use the Vista partitioning tool only, this could be a part of your problem.

ed
eshum
Technological Hen

Postby rei4dan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 17:14

if you sugested to check MBT in BIOS, the I have no idea how to do that, but boot device priority is ok.

Tried to repair bootloader and if I go further the there is advanced options for grub.. :oops: so did that and it works now :D at least to some extent.. Vista is fine, added another entry for SL but it chainbooted to itself :)
But the root device is not valid anymore..
specified /dev/sda6
got:
>> Mounting root...
mknod: /newroot/dev/console: No such file or directory
mknod: /newroot/dev/tty1: No such file or directory
>> Booting (initramfs)..switch_root: Bad console '/dev/console'
[ 212.529810] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Have to configure GRUB property now.. tried several versions but always the same kernel panic.

GParted shows that my /boot partition is /dev/sda6 and my / partition is /dev/sda8 so I used:
root (hd0,5)
kernel (hd0,5)/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.23-sabayon-r1 root=/dev/sda8 real_root=/dev/sda6 noapic apci=off init=/linuxrc

Where could be the error? :?

Regarding Vista's partitioning tool.. I did partitioned NTFS volumes with it :)
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=8710&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15#p64491

And even if I would do it wit GParted then problems would be with Vista's boot, but there all is fine, right now I'm having trouble configuring GRUB to boot Sabayon.
rei4dan
Baby Hen

Postby Dark_MaGe » Fri Oct 26, 2007 18:58

rei4dan wrote:if you sugested to check MBT in BIOS, the I have no idea how to do that, but boot device priority is ok.

Tried to repair bootloader and if I go further the there is advanced options for grub.. :oops: so did that and it works now :D at least to some extent.. Vista is fine, added another entry for SL but it chainbooted to itself :)
But the root device is not valid anymore..
specified /dev/sda6
got:
>> Mounting root...
mknod: /newroot/dev/console: No such file or directory
mknod: /newroot/dev/tty1: No such file or directory
>> Booting (initramfs)..switch_root: Bad console '/dev/console'
[ 212.529810] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Have to configure GRUB property now.. tried several versions but always the same kernel panic.

GParted shows that my /boot partition is /dev/sda6 and my / partition is /dev/sda8 so I used:
root (hd0,5)
kernel (hd0,5)/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.23-sabayon-r1 root=/dev/sda8 real_root=/dev/sda6 noapic apci=off init=/linuxrc

Where could be the error? :?

Regarding Vista's partitioning tool.. I did partitioned NTFS volumes with it :)
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=8710&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15#p64491

And even if I would do it wit GParted then problems would be with Vista's boot, but there all is fine, right now I'm having trouble configuring GRUB to boot Sabayon.
you have to modify your grub.conf as follows:

Code: Select all
kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.23-sabayon-r1 root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/sda8 noapic apci=off init=/linuxrc
Dark_MaGe
Your Farmer

Next

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**