Dual boot woes

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Dual boot woes

Postby davermont » Sat Oct 13, 2007 20:18

Here's the problem: I have sda, which has Windows XP on it and sdb, which has Sabayon installed on it. I installed GRUB to the MBR on sdb and switched the driver order in the BIOS. I've never had a problem making this work before, but I can't seem to boot to Windows now. Here's the menu.lst that Sabayon generated at installation time:

Code: Select all
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /kernel-genkernel real_root=UUID=f5cba4d6-54bb-42a6-b341-6bf64fc9b4dd
#          initrd /initramfs-genkernel
#boot=sdb
default=0
timeout=6
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Sabayon Linux x86-64 3.4 Mini Edition
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.22-sabayon  dolvm2 root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk=8192 real_root=UUID=f5cba4d6-54bb-42a6-b341-6bf64fc9b4dd  quiet  init=/linuxrc splash=silent,theme:sabayon vga=791 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 pci=nomsi
        initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.22-sabayon
title Windows x86_64
        rootnoverify (hd1,4)
        chainloader +1

One thing I don't understand is that GRUB refers to my Linux drive as hd0. I thought GRUB always referred to drives in the same order, irrespective of their order in the BIOS. Any help would be appreciated.
davermont
Baby Hen

Re: Dual boot woes

Postby rand.a » Sat Oct 13, 2007 22:27

Why did you switch the drive order in the BIOS? That just makes Grub get confused.

Post your 'fdisk -l' output so we have a reference, kinda hard to work in the blind.

Also, it'd be nice to know what the actual error is.
rand.a
Growing Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**