USB install won't boot

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

USB install won't boot

Postby PabloFiasko » Thu Oct 11, 2007 19:47

hello everybody,
I just did my first install of 3.4f after using different Sabayon versions for quite a while.
I have an IBM T43 which can boot from USB.
I installed into /boot at /dev/sdb1, root is /dev/sdb3, both ext3.
When I start my freshly installed system after the bios it comes to booting from USB and stops at
Grub _ - the cursor is blinking. No grub prompt, no info about grub stages, no grub list. Never seen this. What is going wrong here? Anybody an idea? Thx.
PabloFiasko
Baby Hen

Re: USB install won't boot

Postby PabloFiasko » Thu Oct 11, 2007 20:07

...just forgot:
yes, I verified the md5 hash and the disc was burned double speed, and verified...
PabloFiasko
Baby Hen

Re: USB install won't boot

Postby WarraWarra » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:32

You can try to boot from the live dvd again and then update installer + run installer and select the yes I agree + bootloader only option as this should replace the current boot loader not sure if doing this the usb is now seen as 2nd hd /dev/sdb and when tryng to boot it reads it as /dev/sda and this could cause a problem.

If this is the case then disable the internal hd or remove it with only usb connected , run installe ras above and fix bootloader.

this should then write the new /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab from the live dvd onto the installed usb hd and correct this. or manually "grub-install" as root in terminal.
Once finished booting usb hd the internal one should be listed as second or at least it does on mine. Booting internal usb becomes hd 2.

It sounds like it has difficulty reading the correct hd / partition info and then send the grub boot to wrong hd as above example.

You would have to fool around with this until you get it right , not sure if replacing the 12345-54321-fghj-3546 with /dev/sda4 would work , does sometimes in /boot/grub/grub.conf
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**