cant boot off livedvd that comes with linuxmagazine

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

cant boot off livedvd that comes with linuxmagazine

Postby fjodork » Thu Oct 11, 2007 18:09

Hi.

Im on a really slow network, so generaly, i cant download huge stuff(monthly download limit and a crappy speed)
So i got my self the nov. 07 edition off linuxmag that comes with a sabayonlivedvd3.4e(though in the boot menu it says 3.4f) so probobly a typeo or something..

anyways.. i tryed to boot different chooises off the livedvd, exept the games and media centers, but everything stops right after the "percent thiggy" is done loading, (loading boot images i guese) after the second line is done(loading sabayon.igz or what ever it says, it goes black so fast that i cant even read whats on there) the screen goes black(backlight off) then the backlight comes on but the screen is still black and the computer hangs. does not even respond to ctrl+alt+del

I tryed ading noddc, acpi=off, noapic nolapic, vga=771 but all ends up the same, i tryed booting the debug mode, and got the respons as shown in the attachment.

Im running on the following hardware:

MSI K9N SLI Platinum,nForce 570 SLI,ATX, Socket-AM2,2xGbLAN,DDR2,Firew,2xPCI-Ex16
TwinMOS DDR2 PC5300 2048MB Dual Pack KIT ,w/two matched DDR2 PC5300 1024MB CL5(4gb total)
Seagate 80GB IDE(windows xp, also the first boot disk)
Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA 16MB 10000RPM(xubuntu 7.04)
Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM(share drive)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz Socket AM2 1MB, BOXED
NEC DVD-brenner ND-4571A IDE Black OEM, Dual, Ram, LabelFlash
Asus GeForce 7900GTX 512MB GDDR3, HDTV, PCI-Express, Tv-Out/2xDVI-I, 650/1600MHz
Sony 19" LCD SDM-S95DS Silver 1280x1024, 1000:1, 8ms, DVI/VGA

i also have a jenses bluetooth usb dongle and hp psc1315 attached to the computer, along with a logitech g5 usb mouse.

Could somebody point me in the right direction as how to fix this? I would love to try sabayon:P
fjodork
Baby Hen

Re: cant boot off livedvd that comes with linuxmagazine

Postby ScottAS » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:16

FJODork

The reason as to why many Desktop PCs and Laptop PCs become unresponsive is because of the fact that the NVIDIA Corp. device driver for NVIDIA GeForce Graphics Processing Units contained within Sabayon GNU/Linux 3.4E and Sabayon GNU/Linux 3.4F contains major problems and therefore it is the root cause of the unresponsive state many Computers enter. It is NVIDIA Corp.'s responsibility to resolved problems within their product; however I hope it be considered that within further versions of the Sabayon GNU/Linux that a replacement of NVIDIA Corp.'s Closed Source device driver with a Open Source device being developed at this current time be implemented.

NVIDIA Corp. have released an updated device driver which resolves the aforementioned problem you are encountering. It was and is a known problem with the Sabayon GNU/Linux 3.4E and Sabayon GNU/Linux 3.4F release and I'm disappointed that the problem you encountered may force many to ignore Sabayon GNU/Linux because of the atrocious device driver that NVIDIA Corp. has developed and distributed and is no fault of our own.

Scott
ScottAS
Young Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**