Installing Sabayon on hda (master) with Kubuntu on hdb (slav

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Installing Sabayon on hda (master) with Kubuntu on hdb (slav

Postby sedge » Sun Oct 07, 2007 0:26

Hi
I have two IDE hard drives on my system hda 20Gb and hdb 80Gb I used to have windoze installed on hda and have Kubuntu on hdb.
I would like to install Sabayon on hda and would like some help on how to do it.
I assume that I would install it and then edit grub.
What doe i need to put into grub or is Sabayon polite enough to see what is installed and make the required adjustments.
I have been flirting with Sabayon since RR64
any help would be appreciated.
Best regards
sedge
Young Hen

Re: Installing Sabayon on hda (master) with Kubuntu on hdb (slav

Postby DontPanic » Mon Oct 08, 2007 17:16

What kind of problems are you having?

Are you trying to keep the Kubuntu grub version as your primary boot loader?
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby sedge » Thu Oct 11, 2007 21:21

Hi
I have not installed Sabayon yet.
I wanted to now if it would work and/ or if any special steps are required.
I do not want to lose Kubuntu as I have abandoned Windows (this was on hda) and use it as my only os.
I want to use the space for Sabayon.
sedge
Young Hen

Postby DontPanic » Thu Oct 11, 2007 21:46

Sure, it can work.

Many of us have multiple versions of Linux installed. If you plan ahead, you can even have multiple version of Linux on the same hard disk. I have five different versions of Linux on my computer (mostly for testing other versions).

But the standard warnings for installing just about any version of Linux apply. You should have your data backed up before you start installing. The partitioning part of Sabayon's installation appears the same as most other versions of Linux that I have installed. You will need to select the partitioning options that install Sabayon to the hda disk and leave the hdb disk alone. They try to make this as straight-forward as possible, but even intermediate/advanced users occasionally have an "oops" here.

So there is no reason that installing SabayonLinux to your hda disk shouldn't work just fine, but you should always be ready for bumps in the road.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Thu Oct 11, 2007 22:39

sedge wrote:Hi

What doe i need to put into grub or is Sabayon polite enough to see what is installed and make the required adjustments.
I have been flirting with Sabayon since RR64

The Sabayon installer won't add your Kubuntu (or hasn't done each time I've used it). I find the best way for me is to copy /boot/grub/menu.lst from Kubuntu before the installation and then just copy and paste the relevant entries into grub.conf in Sabayon.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**