USB - and booting problems - solution needed!

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Re: USB - and booting problems - solution needed!

Postby Alcatrazx » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:13

Hi all,

First of all huge thanks to everyone thats helping.... I've been looking around and so far and unlike what many were made to think, it is not a BIOS bug but a Linux kernel bug....A detailed log of the bug description and also how HORRIBLY it has been tackled can be found here https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/36583

I was really upset to see the conclusion of that thread by starting with a Linux Kernel bug and ending with an ASUS BIOS bug....they then stated the problem is "solved!" and closed the thread....It is not a BIOS bug. I don't want to sound blunt but so far the workarounds i found were all in a way affecting the hardware when a simple tweak to the kernel could make thousands of laptop users happy. If Linux does not have the widespread compatibility that M$ has, not many people will be willing to do the switch. I installed Sabayon for its "out of the box" readiness and by all means i cannot blame Sabayon for this problem. But as you all can clealy see, this issue affects all the distros using the bugged kernels so i guess something should be done from the software side and not from the firmware.

So far i found these workarounds:

- Disable the ACPI which cannot be disabled from the BIOS! (... no comments)
- Disable the legacy USB (which means bye bye usb support.... duh)
- Unplug the USB devices then plug them when the OS boots (pathetic)
- use -nousb (which does not work and i suppose it has the same effect of having no usb support)
- downgrading the BIOS

There is a usb module causing the trouble at bootup, isn't it possible to disable this module? or trigger this module at a later stage? The ironic bit is that the module works fine once that the OS boots! and its all perfect.....

Thanks again to everyone, I will keep searching
Alcatraz
Alcatrazx
Baby Hen

Postby eshum » Sun Oct 14, 2007 18:34

There are two fixes available for this model Asus laptop one at sourceforge.org and one at Asus. The problem seems to effect only this model line of Asus laptops.

ed
eshum
Technological Hen

Postby Alcatrazx » Thu Oct 18, 2007 21:22

Hi all

The argument is widespread compatibility, if the laptop had a bugged BIOS as claimed up there, Windows would have the same problems booting. The distro works perfectly when loaded. Its a true pity because many people will just not bother to persist and see the true beauty of this distro. This is why i raised my point.

Thanks and Regards
Alcatraz
Alcatrazx
Baby Hen

Postby eshum » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:14

There are fixes available to fix the problems you encountered with your particular model of laptop and the problem is with the bios not Sabayon.
I will email you the fixes if you want them I'll keep them on my desktop another twenty-four hours.

ed
eshum
Technological Hen

Postby Alcatrazx » Sun Oct 21, 2007 0:47

That would be great thanks! ..........I ll give them a try if you have them...
Alcatrazx
Baby Hen

Postby eshum » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:31

Were do I send them to (email).

ed
eshum
Technological Hen

Previous

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**