USB - and booting problems - solution needed!

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

USB - and booting problems - solution needed!

Postby Alcatrazx » Sat Oct 06, 2007 14:18

Hi Guys,

Kindly see message below as it was moved courtesy of the moderator ....

Thanks
Alcatraz
Last edited by Alcatrazx on Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:01, edited 2 times in total.
Alcatrazx
Baby Hen

USB problems - installation

Postby Alcatrazx » Sat Oct 06, 2007 14:31

Hi Guys,

The problem is simple .. I have to unhook all the usb devices at boot up ... once they are unhooked the 3.4F x64 boots perfectly.. 3.26 X64 does the same.... I was wondering if there is a way to solve this ... As soon as the boot up screen appears .... and i hook everything up booting proceeds as normal and the system works fine.....I was wondering if there is some config file which needs to be tweaked to solve this.... Please help!

Thanx
Alcatraz

ASUS A6KM - AMD Turion MT32 w Geforce 7 series , 1GB RAM, bluetooth,wifi
Alcatrazx
Baby Hen

Re: USB problems - installation

Postby wolfden » Sat Oct 06, 2007 19:31

First of all, stop making multiple topics

Second of all, stop using all CAPITAL letters in your titles

Than maybe someone will help you
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: USB problems - installation

Postby Alcatrazx » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:52

..... First of all i did not know that capital letters means .... dont asnwer to my posts and secondly.... i did not know whether this was related to hardware or to the installation that is why i posted it in two places. The aim here is for people to discuss problems and help other people to contribute to a better distro. Problem solved, repetition removed.

Thanks
Alcatrazx
Baby Hen

Re: USB - and booting problems - solution needed!

Postby wolfden » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:43

http://www.davesite.com/webstation/inet101/nets01.shtml

Don't type everything in CAPITAL LETTERS. A sentence typed in capital letters is considered yelling by the online community, and it makes you look like a goof.

One topic is enough, if it's in the wrong spot, one of the mods will move it.

When making a post it is good idea to post as much info as possible, like hardware - the more u provide the more easier to help
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Alcatrazx » Sun Oct 07, 2007 13:22

wolfden wrote:http://www.davesite.com/webstation/inet101/nets01.shtml

Don't type everything in CAPITAL LETTERS. A sentence typed in capital letters is considered yelling by the online community, and it makes you look like a goof.

One topic is enough, if it's in the wrong spot, one of the mods will move it.

When making a post it is good idea to post as much info as possible, like hardware - the more u provide the more easier to help

Guys

There is everything here in this message .........the problem the hardware specification etc. Enough said regarding the rest, i got your point .... please focus on the topic now ....... I will re-quote the message just for clarity as we are just wasting time on policies which now thanks to all of you i know..........
The problem is simple .. I have to unhook all the usb devices at boot up ... once they are unhooked the 3.4F x64 boots perfectly.. 3.26 X64 does the same.... I was wondering if there is a way to solve this ... As soon as the boot up screen appears .... and i hook everything up booting proceeds as normal and the system works fine.....I was wondering if there is some config file which needs to be tweaked to solve this.... Please help!

And by the way, it is 100% a USB problem, BIOS is up to date and when i blocked the USB from the BIOS it all worked fine.... as soon as one simple device like a mouse is hooked on, the booting stops just after GRUB loader. I can't stop saying how good the distro is, but i honestly cannot stay unhooking and rehooking devices all the time... i am sure there must be a work around... i tried Ubuntu and it does not do it if that helps in some way. 3.26 and 3.4f x64 versions of sabayon hang at boot up. Many people i know of have had the same problems at boot up, typically this revolves round notebooks, I hope this helps a bit.

Thanx
Alcatraz

Hardware SPECS: ASUS A6KM Notebook- CPU: AMD Turion MT32 GFX - Geforce 7 series , 1GB RAM, bluetooth,wifi, 120GB HDD, 2 USB Removable drives which are always only turned on when needed during sabayon session.
Alcatrazx
Baby Hen

Postby eshum » Sun Oct 07, 2007 18:36

I did a google search for your laptop and this is the result taken from the Gentoo wiki. Pay particular attention to the things that work section- usb.

ed

General

This guide is about how to install Linux on the Asus A6Km laptop.
[edit] Hardware overview
CPU AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology, MT-32, 512kB L2 cache, 1.8Ghz, 25W
Motherboard SIS 756 + SIS 964L
Hard disk IDE UDMA-100 80 Gb / 5400 RPM.
Cd-rom IDE, DVD±RW+DL
Video NVidia GeForce 7300 Go 64 MB with TurboCache supporting up to 256MB, TV-out and external monitor port
Display 15.4" WXGA Color Shine LCD Technology, 1280 x 800 px
PC Card 1 x Type II PCMCIA 2.1 compliant
Cardreader Ricoh R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro
LAN Realtek RTL-8169 10/100/1000 Base-T
WIFI Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller
Modem SiS AC'97 Modem
USB 4 ports, USB 1.1 and 2.0
FireWire 1 port
Infrared 1 port, IrDA v1.1
Parallel 1 port, EPP/ECP
Audio 1 Line In, 1 Line Out, 1 Microphone, 1 Optical out, AC'97, Audio-DJ
[edit] lspci output

* 00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Unknown device 0756 (rev 02)
* 00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] PCI-to-PCI bridge
* 00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS964 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 36)
* 00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev 01)
* 00:02.6 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem Controller (rev a0)
* 00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
* 00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 0f)
* 00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 0f)
* 00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 0f)
* 00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
* 00:09.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
* 00:0a.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev b3)
* 00:0a.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C552 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 08)
* 00:0a.2 Class 0805: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 17)
* 00:0a.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 08)
* 00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
* 00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
* 00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
* 00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
* 00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
* 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Quadro NVS 110M / GeForce Go 7300 (rev a1)

[edit] The Howto

As this didn't resemble a howto or a guide (rather an incomplete list of hardware), I thought I would add to it as I have this laptop and run Gentoo 2006 amd64. (Submitted by Appleman1234)
[edit] Things that work

CPU: The CPU works and supports frequency scaling. Frequency scaling requires the modules, freq_table, cpufreq_userspace, powernow-k8 and a application like cpudyn or powernowd.

ACPI: ACPI works with kernels greater than 2.6.16-rc3, before this it required a BIOS downgrade, a change of DSDT, or removing usb support from the kernel. The easiest solution is to use a newer kernel. It helps if you emerge an acpi dameon like acpid or powersaved and add it to the default runlevel. The ASUS-ACPI is said to work with correct setup according to the Italian Gentoo Wiki, I am yet to test this but will do so.

Apparently more hotkeys (more then just brightness and lcd off) can be accessed by using asus-hotkeys [1] and the definition file [2]. Yet to be tested.

Wireless: Wireless works with bcm43xx module in the 2.6.17 kernel. You have to use fwcutter to get the firmware and install it properly though. (See This Gentoo forum post for instructions ) The code for this native driver is a little buggy (They are working on fixing it), so wireless may play up from time to time. Networkmanger and Knetworkmanager now work :), just be careful with udev and dbus.

In order to make it work again: modprobe -r bcm43xx modprobe bcm43xx iwconfig eth1 essid Youressid ifconfig eth1 up

You can also use ndiswrapper just make sure you use the 64 bit windows drivers. (For more information go here)

In kernel 2.6.20 and latest udev all work at the box(Need only firmware. I get this from ASUS CD.).

Ethernet: The wired ethernet works correctly with the r8169 module. But if you want to change mac address first you need to apply this patch

Graphics Card: The nvidia module works flawlessly with xorg 7.0. To get it emerge nvidia-kernel and emerge nvidia-glx. If you have xorg 7.1, it still works (you just have use the emerge --nodeps option) but their are some font drawing problems. I changed a subhinting pixel setting in KDE and now the only applications that are affected is sometimes Firefox and Wine applications. If you don't want to downgrade your X and have no need for 3D support, I suggest you just use the nv driver instead. Update: No problems in xorg 7.1 now after nvidia update and beryl provides xgl effects using nvidia drivers.

USB: USB works provided you load the right modules. (ohci-hcd, ehci-ocd, etc)

IEEE1394: Should work, haven't tested.

PCMCIA: The module is yenta_socket.

Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 MMC / SD Card reader

A driver for the MMC / SD card reader has been in the kernel since 2.6.18 (sdhci). Both SD and MMC cards work :).

Sound: Sound now works, with recent versions of ALSA. The module is snd_intel8x0. The was a big issue, bug with this card in older versions of ALSA, this has been resolved.

Modem: It should work with linuxant drivers and it might work with the Smartlink drivers, but I haven't as of yet tested it.

Webcam: A driver for the device is currently under development [ http://syntekdriver.sourceforge.net/ ] (thanks to thothonegan and maxxer for pointing The driver is finally at version 1.0 release, and currently works for most V4L applications and some V4L2 applications.

lsusb of this camera

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 174f:a311
iManufacturer 1 Syntek Semicon.
iProduct 2 USB2.0 Video

Infrared: Works under lirc using the lirc-sir driver with irq=3 and io=0x2f8. Make sure it is loaded before the serial driver (make the serial driver module) or lirc wont be able to get it. Haven't tested IrDA communication, though it should work fine with the irtty-sir driver. More information here: Asus a7j lirc RC

I will add more information and detailed instructions for things when I get time.
[edit] Resources

The following are good resources:
eshum
Technological Hen

Postby eshum » Fri Oct 12, 2007 19:18

Wolfden there is a known bug with ACPI in the BIOS of this model Asus Laptop which interferes with the loading of 1 usb module. I found several methods to patch the problem in the Gentoo wiki. It seems that a bios patch is most effective and beyond me to help with (I have not had much luck updating the bios.

ed
eshum
Technological Hen

Postby Alcatrazx » Fri Oct 12, 2007 23:08

I am very grateful for your help .... I am also investigating about the issue ... i have found almost the same results as you have found just some hours ago......
Alcatrazx
Baby Hen

Postby eshum » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:02

I did find these two items this evening. A6Km0202AS.zip and ASUS-A6Km-Q017-210AS-custom.asl.gz
eshum
Technological Hen

Next

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**