Installer trashed my home files

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Installer trashed my home files

Postby FishAndChips » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:41

Having been a gentoo user for many years, I decided to try Sabayon for the first time. Using the DVD of 3.4f I ran the installer, filled in the various prompts, chose a suitable partition, attached my normal home partition and off it goes. Added my old user name in the list of users to add too.

The installer went on for a bit, then seemed to be spending a long time at 100%. After a short while, I went to investigate. <ctrl><alt>1, then top revealed an rm command...! then some sed commands... at this point I thought oh sh*t and switched off the computer. This proved to be the correct thing to do, as the Sabayon Installer was systematically deleting and changing the files in my home directory. WHY? In all my years of using Linux I have never once had anything like this. It went into all of the users in the home directory changing stuff. Deleted some vmware images, all of the email, all the photos, all the documents, all the programs. There was some email files I managed to find, one of which was prefs.js. This had been modified, all accounts deleted and the default start page set to http://www.sabayonelinux.org . Well I don't like programs messing with my data, even if it was trying to be helpful.

All the .xyz directories had been deleted. the .wine for instance, and .kde. This is a huge loss to me, as I do not have backups for all of these. I can get some of the things back with various recovery tools but still...

Is this NORMAL?
FishAndChips
Baby Hen

Re: Installer trashed my home files

Postby eshum » Fri Oct 05, 2007 18:17

Well lets see I am a sixty-seven year old duffer who is smart enough to know that you always backup your personal files when entering unknown territory.

ed
eshum
Technological Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Fri Oct 05, 2007 18:30

I have only found using update / upgrade + agree or formating root with /home in it has lost my users.

Always backup before anything / if the wind blows outside backup if the moon is full you should have backed up already.

I installed using format swap , format /boot and leave root partition = no modify going from 3.3 mini ot 3.4 mini and it reused my /home/elvis instead of replacing it with live cd /dvd user desktop /home/sabayonuser. Also added username + password when asked and this worked = no data lost.
Only diffs = add root / user only root and 1 user and once inside and working then I add other users by default or I am lazy LOL but this seems to work.

I did not use update or upgrade at all during this. Only other thing that could works is to backup then clean install + copy user back after -> creating the user and from live cd /dvd copy the user files back from backup replacing the new created user with same name.

Might be able to using UBCD just google for it or one of the linux recovery disks to undelete the files , UBCD has R-linux and several others in it to help recover files + it's free.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
See lower on linked page for what is there.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby FishAndChips » Fri Oct 05, 2007 20:33

Thank you for your reply WarraWarra. I think my post was a general question rather than a plea for help, although your suggestions are useful. I have some experience of data recovery anyway. No thanks to the smug comment. I have backups of important files. There will be some (a lot) of time taken to recover stuff. My backups were not good enough granted, but nothing too bad has been lost. I hadn't backed up some things I thought I had... using too many places due to not enough space in each place. So now I have ordered a big external drive... ok no need for extra comments about this :lol:

The problem I have, why was it doing anything to these files at all. In all my years of using linux I have never seen this before. Someone has written a script as part of the install that is doing this. Going through files, changing them, deleting them. I have kubuntu, gentoo, debian all installed and have done the same approach with each as I did with Sabayon. None has led to this before. I have tried many different distros before without anything like this. So what is Sabayon trying to do? And why?

Thanks!

WarraWarra wrote:I have only found using update / upgrade + agree or formating root with /home in it has lost my users.

Always backup before anything / if the wind blows outside backup if the moon is full you should have backed up already.

I installed using format swap , format /boot and leave root partition = no modify going from 3.3 mini ot 3.4 mini and it reused my /home/elvis instead of replacing it with live cd /dvd user desktop /home/sabayonuser. Also added username + password when asked and this worked = no data lost.
Only diffs = add root / user only root and 1 user and once inside and working then I add other users by default or I am lazy LOL but this seems to work.

I did not use update or upgrade at all during this. Only other thing that could works is to backup then clean install + copy user back after -> creating the user and from live cd /dvd copy the user files back from backup replacing the new created user with same name.

Might be able to using UBCD just google for it or one of the linux recovery disks to undelete the files , UBCD has R-linux and several others in it to help recover files + it's free.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
See lower on linked page for what is there.
FishAndChips
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:24

The firefox thing is specific to fix some bugs in firefox and adding the default start page is part of it but can be changed back to any webpage.

The rest it should not do it or in 3.4 mini it does not , think that is why the update / upgrade was made to avoid bugs like this. 90% + of this is beta / testing software so stuff can happen unfortunately.
The backup things = Funny stuff happened to me and I have seen at no specific time of day on any os / pc it happens and you loose the install + usb backup and hopefully the dvd's in the safe or the ones at the banksafe box is last resort if not stolen or something from the bank. It was not meant to be bad it is just stuff happens to anyone especially if the wind blows or full moon or a butterfly in the amazon flaps its wings etc etc . Especially when you do not expect it.

Might want to check out megaupload.com as they have 500mb free or the $69 per year same as any other hosting so you can login and backup to this but think megaupload might be less risk of data ending in the wrong place and based in hong kong.
Gmail.com has about 3gb email space same with inbox.com they have 5gb space and making a draft message + attaching a file to it then leaving in draft same as a backup can also help.
Startlogic and hostmonster or something along this lines has the 300gb + and 1000gb - 3000gb per month transfer for $69.00 per year

I just have a old usb hd + usb connection to it and copy /home and /usr/portage as this is the most needed by me the others just take time and can be replaced if erased / formated.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby totedati » Mon Oct 08, 2007 23:19

hummm ... my also do not step into this madness rm * stuff ... if it is real, is a very WRONG AND DANGEROUS way to solve user problems ...

my way to do in all the time in all distro ... i am using a small separate partiţion for /home AND another separate partiţion for /home/totedati, when i do a first time distro install i use /home partiţion, but leave /home/totedati unmounted ... then when all is ready i mount manually /home/totedati partiţion in /home/totedati/backup/old and create a new subdirectory /home/totedati/backup/new where i copy the new /home/totedati ... then i do a owerwrite of /home/totedati with files from /home/totedati/backup/old , logout, login and see if all is working ... usually is working, no need to do any more custom exercise .... after some time, two tree weeks, if all is ok, i delete all files from /home/totedati/backup/old and /home/totedati/backup/new, copy files from /home/totedati to /home/totedati/backup/old, remember this is the old /home/totedati in a separate partiţion, unmount it, change fstab, delete all files from /home/totedati, logout, init3 to leave x stufs, mount /home/totedati partition în the right place, init 5, login and voila! all is ok and in a working state ...

in the meantime, all data from former /home/totedati/backup/old and /home/totedati/backup/new is always saved in two tar.bz2 files, backup_old.tar.bz2 and backup_new.tar.bz2, as first steps after i have a working new distro install ... to a usb sticks ... is plenty around me, one of 256mb, one of 2gb, one of 8 gb, and so on, all formated with ext3 or ext2 fs ... just in case somethins is ending wrong ...
and in /home/totedati will never save any mp3, divx, torrent, avi or mpegs ... too huge to deal with all of it in a normal backup process ... always i use separate partition for it, with diferent backup strategy, not to flash usb pendisk but to externat usb hdd, only jpeg or png pics and e-mails is an excepţion ... so in /home/totedati really is only small text files, pics and docs, emails and things like this ...

and always i sleep well ... all the time my data is safe ...

you know the proverb ... do you backup often?
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**