Installing 3.4 via partition (no cd rom)

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Installing 3.4 via partition (no cd rom)

Postby tommytabib » Sun Sep 30, 2007 0:57

Hello,

What i am trying to do is install sabayon 3.4 miniedition without using a cd drive.

I do have a cd drive/burner BUT it will not let me install or run any livecd based on the kernels 2.6.20 and up. Thus sabayon running a 2.6.22 kernel (i think) will not run. It simply starts initializing the kernel then stops and freezes at the line where it detects my scsi cd drive. So i unplug my cd drive and boot via a partition with all the sabayon files on it.

I know how to extract all the files from the 3.4 ISO and put them on a spare partition (i've installed a few distros this way before) but i do not know what my grub entry should look like to allow me to boot into sabayon live cd.

For ubuntu it looks like this:
title installer
root (hd1,5)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper root=/dev/ram ramdisk_size=1048576 rw
initrd /casper/initrd.gz

But this does not work for sabayon. Its says the root=/dev/ram is not right, or something.

So can someone please tell my what the grub entry should look like.

P.S. once the distro is installed i have to always leave the cd drive unplugged or it will not run. And also i do not leave the grub entry as "casper" and stuff, i change it to suit sabayons files but i still get stuck.

Thanks.
tommytabib
Baby Hen

Re: Installing 3.4 via partition (no cd rom)

Postby mdmarmer » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:56

Here's one that worked for kororaa (Single root, boot partition)
root (hd0,X)
kernel /boot/kororaa root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc nokeymap video=vesafb:mtrr:3,1024x768-16@60 splash=silent,fadein,theme:kororaa quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
initrd /boot/kororaa.igz

Mike
mdmarmer
Advanced Hen

Re: Installing 3.4 via partition (no cd rom)

Postby tommytabib » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:52

mdmarmer wrote:Here's one that worked for kororaa (Single root, boot partition)
root (hd0,X)
kernel /boot/kororaa root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc nokeymap video=vesafb:mtrr:3,1024x768-16@60 splash=silent,fadein,theme:kororaa quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
initrd /boot/kororaa.igz

Mike

I'm sorry, that did not work for me.

Any other ideas?

P.S. the actual error i get is:
the root block device is unspecified or not detected
Please specify a device to boot or "shell" for a shell...
boot () ::

And then when i type "/dev/sdbx" i get a few more lines of error and then kernel panic!
tommytabib
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**