3.4 mini + time errors = fix.

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

3.4 mini + time errors = fix.

Postby WarraWarra » Thu Sep 27, 2007 22:37

During install or live cd /dvd mode leave the time as is and after you booted into kde you can change this to your local real time.

This results in no errors on installed boot-up / shut down saying "time somewhere in future" or at least this is how it worked for me.

Also updating 3.4 mini only mess with firefox , jdk "java" and netscape-flash. If not broken do not fix it / update it unless you know what you are doing. The rest is as upto date as normal / new user would need + it works this way.
Once you are familiar with updating how what where then do it in the installed version.

What ? are you crazy not today LOL but using virtualbox or vmware on top of the 3.4 mini and inside the virtual pc you then safely create , you can build / break and delete it + start over + still having a working installed on hd 3.4 mini / cd and possibly share the /usr/portage folder to reuse and limit duplicate downloads of the same file = saves internet bandwidth.

See the virtual pc part of the forum + the 20gb ext3 clean / empty 1.5mb .rar file I posted to speed up the install in virtualbox. Sorry for the popup from wiki-upload just go past it to download. Will move the file to a mirror soon.

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Re: 3.4 mini + time errors = fix.

Postby WarraWarra » Thu Sep 27, 2007 23:53

Just now reinstalled after messing up my dhcp see other post in networking.

This is the wrong way but it worked for me.
Found an alternative way to install + keep data already there after backup "just in case" .
Justright click knetworkmanager , connect my wifi + wpa + tkip in live cd 3.4 then updated installer + ran the installer only formating /boot and swap leaving root partition as is with incorrect and old info on it.

Keeping files already there:
Then the installer formated + only replaced the files during normal install in root partition + leaving my current user "/home/idiot" in tact and fixing the broken dhcp I broke.
I did not use any update / upgrade during installer options just normal install. "do not format root partition"

So for the guy's complaining about losing data this is a alternative way to do it = no format root partition and install. It takes 2 ot 5 mins extra but beats copying your files back from backup that you made before installing.

Always make backups before anythign partition in any OS and then try something like this at your own risk. I had nothing on there to loose just a few files I tested with this attempt and they are all still there.

Hope this helps someone just use caution.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**