Installs fine but no boot,nothing!

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Installs fine but no boot,nothing!

Postby jaggerdss » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:56

I have a XP Pro system with three drives. One 80gb for the XP ,One 40 GB for the Sabayon,and one 80gb ntfs for the heck of it!
My problem is getting the Sabayon installed and working.
I just went through the installation of 3.4a and 3.4e (Thought my disk was bad) and when it gets all done and asks me to reboot I say yes and it reboots to windows with no Grub or anything? Through the process it ask me what drive to put it on and if I want to delete everything on that drive (which I say yes) And what drive to put the bootloader (sba1 =windows, sbb1=ntfs,sbc1=sabayon) When I get done it just boots to windows as if nothing happened? When I look at the drive with boot-us, it says the sabayon drive is as follows on the 40gb drive: #1 partition Linux Nat Pri 101mb Bootable No. #2 Partition Unknown Pri 38.1gb Bootable No.
Boot-us or other boot commanders won't see the partition as bootable? What is up?
jaggerdss
Baby Hen
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:23

Re: Installs fine but no boot,nothing!

Postby wolfden » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:16

Where did you install grub too?

take a look at http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/

Grub Recovery Disk
wolfden
Sharecropper
 
Posts: 9051
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 0:55
Location: Midwest USA

Re: Installs fine but no boot,nothing!

Postby jaggerdss » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:25

wolfden wrote:Where did you install grub too?

take a look at http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/

Grub Recovery Disk

I thought that it installed to my c: drive (sba1) which is the windows drive and the first in the boot order. I specified windows as the first boot although I did try it the other way around (sabayon first boot) also but the same results. I know I'm missing something but the install is not very intuitive if so! I also changed my boot order in bios to boot to the sabayon drive but it gives a boot error (Insert bootable disk blah blah,,,,). May just try the 40gb alone to install sabayon and then hook up my other drives if I can't get this.
I'll look at the link in the mean time.
jaggerdss
Baby Hen
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:23

Re: Installs fine but no boot,nothing!

Postby gentoo user » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:04

jaggerdss wrote: I also changed my boot order in bios to boot to the sabayon drive but it gives a boot error (Insert bootable disk blah blah,,,,). May just try the 40gb alone to install sabayon and then hook up my other drives if I can't get this.
I'll look at the link in the mean time.


According to that error your computer cannot find grub. You have to reinstall GRUB whic is the bootloader that boots Sabayon and it should boot into it. If Windows XP is on sba1 DO NOT install grub on it or Windows will not boot anymore. sba1 means that it will overwrite Windows XP's bootloader.
Instead you should install GRUB to sba (that's not sba1 cause sba1 has windows xp's bootloader).
gentoo user
Baby Hen
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 21:05

Re: Installs fine but no boot,nothing!

Postby jaggerdss » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:00

gentoo user wrote:
jaggerdss wrote: I also changed my boot order in bios to boot to the sabayon drive but it gives a boot error (Insert bootable disk blah blah,,,,). May just try the 40gb alone to install sabayon and then hook up my other drives if I can't get this.
I'll look at the link in the mean time.


According to that error your computer cannot find grub. You have to reinstall GRUB whic is the bootloader that boots Sabayon and it should boot into it. If Windows XP is on sba1 DO NOT install grub on it or Windows will not boot anymore. sba1 means that it will overwrite Windows XP's bootloader.
Instead you should install GRUB to sba (that's not sba1 cause sba1 has windows xp's bootloader).

So does sabayon have to have Grub? Cuz I tried other bootloaders and they do not recognize the sabayon install as a bootable drive? I also tried booting directly to the drive (sabayon) by setting it first in bios but no go!
jaggerdss
Baby Hen
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:23

Re: Installs fine but no boot,nothing!

Postby jaggerdss » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:13

Well I tried the Supergrub at http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/ and it says that there is no active partition on that drive (sabayon) I'm gonna pull all my drives but the sabayon dedicated one and install again. If no go then I guess its Ubuntu with Beryl :?
jaggerdss
Baby Hen
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:23

Re: Installs fine but no boot,nothing!

Postby jaggerdss » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:04

Well I got it running finally! Had to remove all drives and install. Now I use my bios to change. :( Oh well I'll get it figured out. I even figured out how to enable the Beryl animations and cube effect! In fact i'm posting from Sabayon right now. Whoopee! Not bad for a windows dude. Now I just gotta figure out how to change my screen res higher and I'll be set.
jaggerdss
Baby Hen
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:23


Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest