/boot

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

/boot

Postby eponalank » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:14

Sorry this might be a really dumb question but ...
i'm installing sabayon 3.4f on a dual boot computer with windows xp
the computer already has a 64mb fat32, a 4gb swap and the rest is nfts.
Now, i wanted to create a linux swap space (successful), i created the ext3 20gb file to install all my stuff (successful) and the last step was to create a ext3 100mb boot space BUT GParted doesn't allow me to because it can't have more than 4 partitions in the primary. now this is really silly because i have only three!! the fact is that i try to create the boot partition on free space which i guess gparted counts as a partition by itself so when i hit NEW it blocks me from doing so...
now i think LOADS of other people have done a dual boot system so please some advice.

Thanks

Francesco
eponalank
Young Hen

Re: /boot

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:56

I've always installed grub to the MBR and had no trouble. Is there a particular reason that you want a separate boot partition?
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby eponalank » Wed Sep 19, 2007 14:25

well not really, but that's how most people advised me to do it .. nice and tidy

in the eventuality that i want to delete sabayon and its partitions ... if i use the windows restore disk and the command fixmbr, will it delete grub?

eponalank
Young Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Sep 19, 2007 21:56

eponalank wrote:well not really, but that's how most people advised me to do it .. nice and tidy

in the eventuality that i want to delete sabayon and its partitions ... if i use the windows restore disk and the command fixmbr, will it delete grub?

yes fixmbr will work
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:46

The partitions on my dual-boot laptop are currently configured as follows:

1. primary partition /dev/sda1 fat32 (4 Gb) hidden factory partition for restoring Windows XP
2. primary partition /dev/sda2 fat32 (72 Gb) Windows XP C: drive
3. primary partition /dev/sda3 ext3 (102 Mb) /boot
4. extended partition /dev/sda4 containing:
i) logical partition /dev/sda5 ext3 (52 Gb) /home
ii) logical partition /dev/sda6 ext3 (21 Gb) /
iii) logical partition /dev/sda7 linux-swap (510 Mb) swap

This works a treat, with plenty of space for Portage and emerging new packages without worrying about filling the partition while doing it.

I used to have /dev/sda7 as 4 Gb but realised it was not being used. I reduced it to 2 Gb and realised that was not being used either. Now I have it at 510 Mb and I've still not seen it used! Mind you, my laptop has 2 Gb RAM, so it's not that surprising.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**