edit grub

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

edit grub

Postby eponalank » Sat Sep 15, 2007 18:45

Hello, i would like to know how to edit GRUB on the windows partition, so that when i connect my external hard drive Sabayon boots ...and when i have it disconnected, Windows boots normally ...

thanks
Francesco
eponalank
Young Hen

Re: edit grub

Postby WarraWarra » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:49

Here is a few links that could help you.
http://www.google.com/search?q=gentoo+g ... =firefox-a
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby eponalank » Tue Sep 18, 2007 20:54

hmm ..thanks.

but i was wondering what kind of code to use...
eponalank
Young Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Tue Sep 18, 2007 22:20

Windows before "vista to hell" used boot.ini on the 1st hd / boot partition.
Grub is stored and referanced from /boot/grub/grub.conf and using a text editor in linux can edit this /boot/grub/grub.conf file to the latest way you would like it using a live dvd to boot from or the hd boot if you can get into it.
At boot by pressing "e" you should be able to load the correct info as well and have it boot this , this works sometimes.
best option is to write the boot to the actual hd mbr sabayon is on and then edit xp pro's boot.ini if it has issues or you fell more comfortable with this.

Vista best of luck , search the forums top right of this page has search + advanced search for "Vista" and should have the work-arounds.

Or as root in terminal grub-install if the /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab is correct to show current and or the way you want the hd's to be read.

The specific code as you mention would be found in some of that links as it is specific or similar to other codes that gets used in general but depends on your config and only you can fix this to the correct way.

Unfortunately this is gentoo based so it is a bit tricky and a bit of reading can help but unlike "Junk Loads another broken window" OS it differs from one to the other install.

Sry if I sound agro not at you , I just had a ebay try to fix a problem session AARRGGHH.

You did not mention if XP or Vista as both have different tricks , you can also use "acronis disk director" as this has a os boot selector or boot loader program that can start this install for you. LILO once installed could also work have not tried it in the last 6 months.
Acronis disk director demo download link:
http://www.tucows.com/preview/365026

Hope this helps. Try the wiki on top of this page as it has lots of helpful guides from our users as they got stuff to work.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby fpirrone » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:17

Francesco,

If this helps complete the process, this is my GRUB setup:

#boot=sda
default=0
timeout=6

# splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Sabayon Linux x86-64 3.4
root (hd0,2)
# kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.22-sabayon dolvm2 root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 quiet init=/linuxrc splash=silent,theme:sabayon vga=791 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 dodmraid pci=nomsi resume2=swap:/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01
kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.22-sabayon dolvm2 root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 quiet init=/linuxrc splash=off vga=791 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 dodmraid pci=nomsi resume2=swap:/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01
initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.22-sabayon
title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +1
title Dell Utility
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Access your setup with the Text Editor using File - Open as Administrator and providing your password. As you can see "default=0" indicates the first boot option as the default one and 6 seconds as the time you have to interrupt and choose the other. For me, Windows XP Pro, SP2 is the second option (title Windows XP). You can also see the three partitions on the Dell 470 Precision Workstation with two SCSI drives in RAID. I've highlighted everything I pointed out.

What you'll have to do is set the external drive Sabayon OS as the default - position 0, or the first one listed, or change the "default=0" statement to "default=1" and my assumption is that if your external is disconnected GRUB will default to the next available partition and OS. Try man grub to see.

Frank
fpirrone
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**