Standalone Sabayon 3.4f Install

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Standalone Sabayon 3.4f Install

Postby barryg » Sat Sep 15, 2007 13:27

Hi guys. I would like to completely and exclusively run Sabayon on my machine, meaning totally eradicate any windows O.S. My first attempt at this proved somewhat of a failure. When booting up on an empty 320GB drive (though it did previously have Vista installed and removed), i encountered an error stating something about, not having permission (though not sure the exact message), this resulted in the inability to install Sabayon.

Is it possible to install just Sabayon, or does it require a windows O.S to be installed as well? If it is possible for a standalone install could some kind person help by explaining (basically), how this can be achieved, from drive preparation to looking at the desktop. There are a few systems in my house, all containing either XP or Vista, and now i feel i would like to 'learn' Linux. After trying several LiveCD versions i would like to begin and learn with Sabayon.

Thanks in advance.

Regards Barryg
barryg
Baby Hen

Re: Standalone Sabayon 3.4f Install

Postby momocore » Sat Sep 15, 2007 13:35

Running the installer off of the LiveDVD should automatically bring up a partition manager. Your entire disk needs to be re-formatted with a linux filesystem for it to work. This should override any permission errors you are getting... The installer is very easy and walks you through the steps if you are unfamiliar with this task. My assumption is that you only erased the os and related files, but have not reformatted. I'm not sure if you have stuff on the drive you want to keep, so you may want to back that up and possibly resize the NTFS partition.
momocore
Simple Hen

Postby barryg » Sat Sep 15, 2007 13:50

Thanks for the swift reply. What i previously had on my drive was 3 partitions, 2=120GB and the 3rd for any backup stuff. I had XP and Vista installed on both C: and D: and subsequently formatted both C: and D: partitions. It wasn't until i realised after the fact, that Vista (or i believe Gparted) doesn't have the ability to Merge. So i re-installed XP just to use partition magic to delete D: and add the unused space into C: but still retain E: for my old backup stuff.

After rebooting and doing a quick format of the new single partition, i came up with the Sabayon error. I guess because it was formatted first with NTSF? is this is the problem you are mentioning.

Regards Barryg
barryg
Baby Hen

Postby momocore » Sat Sep 15, 2007 14:33

I guess I'm confused... when are you getting this error? Are you able to partition the space into the boot/swap/sabayon partitions?
momocore
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Sep 15, 2007 15:52

You should be able to boot the LiveDVD, launch GParted (Partition Editor), delete all the existing partitions on the HDD, create one big new partition plus a swap partition (make it 512 Mb), format the former as ext3 and the latter as linux-swap, then just Update Installer and Install on Disk from the LiveDVD. If you would rather have separate partitions for /boot, /, /home etc. then just create three partitions instead of one big one, and format them as ext3. When you run the installer it will ask you if you want to let it allocate partitions automatically or if you want to do it manually. You can choose either, actually, but as you've already created the partitions with GParted then it's easier (in my opinion) to select Manually and just give them the Mount Point names you want (/, /boot. /home, swap etc.). The Installer is quite easy and intuitive to use. Just click on Edit to give the Mount Point names (from a pull-down menu) -- you'll see what I mean when you reach the page in the installer.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby barryg » Sat Sep 15, 2007 15:57

All done and perfect thanks 8)

Regards Barryg
barryg
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**