Install from external hard drive?

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Install from external hard drive?

Postby SuperGoth » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:58

How can I install Sabayon Linux from an external hard drive? Please tell me I can do this!!! Thanks so much!
SuperGoth
Baby Hen

Re: Install from external hard drive?

Postby runtt21 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 0:12

check this thread......

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=9822

If your installer can "see" your usb drive you can install to it,but you need to check your boot devices in your bios to see if it list your usb drive.You can check it during start up at the first screen .On my computer it says "HP" and has some function keys at the bottom, and press "esc" for boot.If I press it I see my Hdd then my usb drive and then my dvd-rom.Your computer may have something different like f8 or f12 or something else.I would run the liveDVD and see how sabayon labels your usb drive so you will know it in the installer.

If your bios doesn't have your drive you can download supergrub , make a cd of that and it will boot anything....
runtt21
Young Hen

Postby SuperGoth » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:28

No I dont want to install onto an hard drive, I want to put the .iso onto the hard drive and install it on my comp.
SuperGoth
Baby Hen

Postby mdmarmer » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:34

I don't think Sabayon supports this.
What I have considered (for a computer with no DVD drive) -- install to external hard drive on 1 computer (that has DVD drive)
then
unplug external drive
plug into computer that has no DVD drive
copy installation from external hard drive to internal hard drive (use rsync)
update fstab and GRUB
all done -- now it's installed on the other computer
mdmarmer
Advanced Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**