Windows to Sabayon Question Please Help!

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Windows to Sabayon Question Please Help!

Postby philipfarris » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:14

I hope this question does not start a session of whip the newbie. :)

I am dumping MS on a permanant basis and movin on up to Sabayon. I have a 80 GB & a 300 GB on my machine. The 80 GB contains Win XP media center and the 300 gig is full of my MP3's, movies, pics, etc. Once I dump Win XP and install Sabayon on the 80 gig will I be able to see my files on the 300 GB? If not what are my options so I can use my media files under LInux (Sabayon) off the 300 GB. If worst comes to worst I will back up with DVD's but at least 200 gigs of MP3's alone would be a choreasaurus rex to say the least.

Any other tips or traps for a Linux newbie may be thrown on as well. My machine is as follows,

Dell XPS 400
Pentium Dual Core 820
3 GB DDR2 @ 533
80 & 300 GB Sata HDD's
EVGA 7950GT 512 MB
Lite ON DVD & DVDRW
philipfarris
Baby Hen

Re: Windows to Sabayon Question Please Help!

Postby Eden » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:30

Since your 300GB partition is likely NTFS you will need to use ntfs-3g to access it, the problem is in the future if the partition needs checking Linux might not be able to do it. ntfs-3g will work fine for now but it would probably be a good idea to back everything up and change the filesystem to a more Linux orientated filesystem.
Eden
Growing Hen

Postby philipfarris » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:44

Thanks Eden! WOW fast response!!

ntfs-3g is a driver that allows linux to read/write on NTFS drives right? Will a option be given for this on install or is it something that I will need to add on myself and if so how? Is there a Sabayon new user guide or is it these forums (which are great so far) and the WiKi?

Thanks again!
philipfarris
Baby Hen

Postby joost » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:11

ntfs-3g is pre-installed and by default set to mount NTFS with read/write access.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby philipfarris » Thu Sep 13, 2007 13:44

Wow Again!

Thank you for your wonderful reply. I am ready to start my 1st install very shortly. I am truly amazed at how the Linux, Sabayon, community really does step up to help one another. I think I will fit in just fine here. :)

THANKS!
philipfarris
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**