erm i got a problem

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

erm i got a problem

Postby kai_99992003 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 14:37

hi im new to linux and was wondering if u can help me

im trying to install sabayon on a removeable hard drive (256gb) and when i install the grub bootloader onto my windows partition i have no problems untill i take my laptop out and forget the external hard drive and all that apears on the screen is grub ... is their a way to install sabayon onto my external hard drive so that when i dont have it with me i can boot windows and when i get home boot sabayon linux

ps i have tried using it without the boot loader and all i get is error loading os screen

thanksfor your time
kai_99992003
Baby Hen

Re: erm i got a problem

Postby DelSiR » Wed Sep 12, 2007 14:12

I take it you still have Windows installed on your laptop's local hard drive? What version is it?

I dont know if you have done this but all you have to do is add an option into grub for your windows partition (local harddrive) and have your option for Sabayon pointing to your external HDD. Hope that helps?... :)
DelSiR
Baby Hen

Postby eponalank » Fri Sep 14, 2007 22:41

sorry to bum in but i have the same problem ...

how would you then go and “add the option" on the grub?

thanks XD
eponalank
Young Hen

Postby kai_99992003 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 19:06

yeah i got xp on the local hard drive but it wont load the bootloader without plugging my xternal one with linux installed in
kai_99992003
Baby Hen

Postby DelSiR » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:04

eponalank wrote:sorry to bum in but i have the same problem ...

how would you then go and “add the option" on the grub?

thanks XD

Ok, I prosume that you have linux installed locally and not on a USB drive or something like kai has. If that is the case then all you need to do is add e.g:

title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,5)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Where "Windows XP" is just a title and you can call this anything you like and "rootnoverify (hd0,5)" is the hard disk and partition that windows is installed on. Again this will vary depending on your system setup. You will then have an extra option in grub when you reboot :).

kai_99992003 wrote:yeah i got xp on the local hard drive but it wont load the bootloader without plugging my xternal one with linux installed in

This is because you have installed grub onto the USB drive and the MBR in your laptop has been reset to point to your USB hard drive no to anything local. I recomend you use a bootable linux CD such as Knoppix or a Gentoo minimal live cd depending on whether you are comfy using just CLI. And then you will need to create a partition locally on your laptop, roughly 100mb, and install grub onto that which will also reset the MBR again. And configure grub to boot windows (using the same entry as I sugested above) and then change your Sabayon entry to point too the USB device. I couldnt give you more of a walkthrough im afraid because ive never had to do this myself so not 100% sure of the exact config settings needed but Google is your friend ;) and this will not be a hard process to do. Im also guessing that http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org should have quite alot of information regarding this also gentoo-wiki.com will be a good place to look this up, there is HUGE amounts of information on this wiki and im sure in there somewhere you will find a HowTo.

Any problems ill see if i can give you anymore advice! :)
DelSiR
Baby Hen

Postby kai_99992003 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 16:00

thanks for the help but i just thaught stuff it ill install sabayon linux and virtualise windows in vmware
kai_99992003
Baby Hen

Postby DelSiR » Mon Sep 17, 2007 17:58

Good idea mate. Although it depends what you are wanting to use the windows os for as VMware doesnt get the performance that an actual install will.
DelSiR
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**