Video Issue with LiveDVD

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Video Issue with LiveDVD

Postby dw426 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 14:48

Hi everyone, I'm brand new here. I'm having an issue with the LiveDVD 32bit version. I can get the LiveDVD to go to the booting options just fine, but when I ask it to load the Live desktop, it will go through the motions of loading the modules and all that, and then it just goes to a black screen and nothing else. I'm able to still hear sound on the black screen, so I know it's trying to do something. It does fine until right after "Waiting for OpenGL configuration___Done", then it goes right to the black screen.

I have also tried installing in text mode, which it will install fully, but still load a black screen upon next boot. I have tried the different cheats such as noapci, sabayon opengl=ati, noaccelmanager, trying Safe Mode, just about anything I could find in the help file. I have an ATI X1650PRO 512Mb for my video card, and when the LiveDVD is trying to load, I do get a message about "ATI unknown device", so I am making an assumption that it isn't able to detect the card, though I could be wrong.

I've searched through the forum here and found things that were close to my issue, and of course the various cheats, but still don't have an idea of what I may be missing or need to do next. I'm hoping one of you ladies and gents can lend me a hand with this, as I would love to get this really nice distro up and purring along. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to and appreciate any help I can get.

Edit: I just read the post above me and apologize for not giving enough information. I did burn the ISO as slow as I could (4x), and the MD5 was correct. The rest of my hardware is pretty basic, AMD 64bit 2.0ghz processor, 1Gb of RAM, a Creative Audigy value sound card, Asus K8V Deluxe motherboard.
dw426
Baby Hen

Re: Video Issue with LiveDVD

Postby dw426 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 17:45

Ok, I've tried every video-related cheat code I saw in the help file, including sabayon opengl=xorg-x11, and nothing is bringing me past the the progress bar and black screen. When it is trying to detect the card, it says "ATI Technologies: Unknown Device 71c1 (rev9e), then it goes into "Waiting for Opengl Configuration to finish", and when it says done I get taken to the black screen. I know the card works, I read up on Compiz-Fusion here in the forum and the X1650 is listed as being able to work with it, so I can't figure out why the LiveDVD isn't booting into the desktop.

I've looked and looked in the forum for this type of issue related to 3.4e and have attempted whatever I have found to no avail. I really really have to get this moving along :(
dw426
Baby Hen

Postby dw426 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:38

darn, nobody knows what's going on with it?
dw426
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:02

More information please. Which version of Sabayon are you using? 3.4e? Give us more details about your hardware and maybe we'll recognize a pattern.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby dw426 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:53

Absolutely, thank you for replying. I am currently trying to load the 3.4e LiveDVD version. My hardware is basically an Asus motherboard, K8V SE Deluxe, an AMD 64 2.0Ghz processor, 1Gb of ram, an ATI X1650 PRO 512Mb video card, Creative Labs Audigy Value card, and I have an external HP USB DVD drive that I use to load the LiveDVD, an HP 630c I believe. It's very frustrating, I really want to give Sabayon a chance but the darn LiveDVD won't even let me go into just a live enviroment. As stated above, I've tried all the cheat codes that I was able to search for and locate in the help file.

There was something I hadn't posted earlier, in the very beginning of the verbal booting, a particular module was not found, "ohci", but the other modules were present and loaded fine. I don't know if that helps any or not. It all seems to stop when it's trying to configure the video card. It will say "ATI unknown device". Then it will go into "waiting for opengl configuration to finish----done" and the progress loading bar gets over half way then drops me into a black screen. I can hear the music still even with the black screen, so I know it's still attempting to load, but just doesn't seem to be able to. I have successfully installed the entire OS via the Text Installer, but when it comes time to boot from the hard drive and not the DVD, the same process occurs, the loading bar almost finishes and then the black screen.

I noticed it has a problem with my BIOS, saying "BIOS error, acpi object not found" or close to that, but that happens on just about every distro I try and usually doesn't consistently block me from loading the OS. I turned off and then ended up disabling it in the boot parameters in case it was the issue, but still the same problem.
dw426
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**