Update Mini Edition using the full version DVD?

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Update Mini Edition using the full version DVD?

Postby alexis » Wed Sep 05, 2007 17:26

Hi, I installed 3.4e and I really love it, the only thing I don't like is how much space it takes. I know this is something necessary, to have all these files so that it suites everybody, however, it has many stuff I don't need and installing everything is not as easy as just removing 3,4 programs so I was wondering once the new MiniEdition is released, could I use the 3.4e DVD to install any missing programs I want from the full version?
alexis
Baby Hen

Re: Update Mini Edition using the full version DVD?

Postby alexis » Wed Sep 05, 2007 22:46

One other thing... if I install just the Sabayon core, would I be able to install the extra packages from the DVD or would sabayon get them from the Internet anyway? I guess what I basically need is to check if there is a way to fetch the packages directly from the DVD and learn more about portage ....

I ve been checking and I can mount the livecd squashfs file so I can get point portage to use the portage dir in the DVD if I am not wrong so then the only thing I would have to do is either point the Mini Edition or the Sabayon Core install to install the packages from there I guess. Can someone confirm this?
alexis
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:49

you have to use the internet to update or install

Gentoo based distros do not make a good computer for offline updating or installing.

Besides, the packages on the DVD are outdated when compared to portage anyway.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby alexis » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:46

I know but it is faster that way, I guess I should be able to updates the packages before syncing portage, there should be a way, I will play with it when I have some free time. It is not simple but it is a way to customize Sabayon and get rid of everything you do not need, it is not a bad thing to have all the extra stuff but I would prefer to remove all the stuff I do not use anyway. By the way, thanks for the reply :)
alexis
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**