Vista and Sabayon dual boot- mostly successful, except...

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Vista and Sabayon dual boot- mostly successful, except...

Postby jm1 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 16:57

This is more of a Vista problem than a Linux problem, but I'm sure there are plenty of dual booters out there. Maybe one of you has experienced the same problem so here it is:I finally got Sabayon installed on my laptop alongside Vista. Almost everything works, but now Vista will not shut down completely or go into hibernation. These features worked fine before installing Sabayon, now they don't. I don't know what the Sabayon install could have done to cause this, but it's an awfully big coincidence if they are unrelated. As an aside, Vista's disk manager also shows 5 primary partitions now (EISA config, recovery, Vista, a 94mb partition made by Linux install, and the Linux partition) which as I understand isn't possible.
Any input would be appreciated- as long as it's not "Dump Vista." That's what I'm trying to do anyhow ;)
jm1
Baby Hen

Re: Vista and Sabayon dual boot- mostly successful, except...

Postby linuxdevil » Tue Sep 04, 2007 17:21

Yeah, Vista does have a problem with dual booting, even with Windows XP :D ! If you are trying to dump vista, I would recommend just wiping your hard drive, however, if that is not the case, you may just try replacing the Vista boot loader with GRUB, or if that doesn't work, LILO or EXTLINUX.

--- http://www.dcware.co.nr/ LinuxDevil
-linuxdevil-
linuxdevil
Baby Hen

Postby dyingmuppet » Tue Sep 04, 2007 17:33

I've had Vista Premium pre-installed on my Asus laptop and after a day I've already seen 2 BSOD's show up, at the moments they appeared I was modifying that side bar with another clock and stuff... and also when I didn't run any program my memory was @ 57% used... by what?? the OS itself??!!..
well never mind that... after the first day of trying :puker: Vista :pukel: I've had enough of it, so I wiped the whole hard drive and installed Sabayon, which was much easier to use, except for my sound that did not work right out of the box, but after an alsa-patch everything works great for me :D
I also tried Vista via a virtual machine which works quiet well on a real fast machine... but still... Who needs :puker: Vista :pukel: ??!?

Grtzz DM
dyingmuppet
Growing Hen

Postby jm1 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 17:47

I'm using GRUB successfully. The problem is that hibernation no longer works. Shutdown works intermittently. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm assuming that hibernation somehow needs the Vista bootloader. I'm going to reload it tonight and try to get it working for both OS's. I will post the results here.
Unfortunately I cannot dump windows altogether as there are programs that I need that Wine can't run or doesn't run well.

Also, my aside in the first post may be more of a problem than I thought. The partition which Linux is installed to does not seem to be accessible when booted into Linux. I don't believe that is normal, is it?
jm1
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Tue Sep 04, 2007 22:52

The correct way to dual boot with Windows Vista is not to delete it's bootloader, but to instead install grub on the first sector of your Sabayon partition and from grub, you can boot into Vista's bootloader. That's what I've done and I haven't had any problems as of yet.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby Eden » Wed Sep 05, 2007 0:03

jm1 wrote:This is more of a Vista problem than a Linux problem, but I'm sure there are plenty of dual booters out there. Maybe one of you has experienced the same problem so here it is:I finally got Sabayon installed on my laptop alongside Vista. Almost everything works, but now Vista will not shut down completely or go into hibernation. These features worked fine before installing Sabayon, now they don't. I don't know what the Sabayon install could have done to cause this, but it's an awfully big coincidence if they are unrelated.

did you fragment before partitioning the drive?

jm1 wrote:As an aside, Vista's disk manager also shows 5 primary partitions now (EISA config, recovery, Vista, a 94mb partition made by Linux install, and the Linux partition) which as I understand isn't possible.

It is impossible, this 5th 94mb 'primary partition' is most likely just un-partitioned space, check with gparted it should say unallocated space when you click or hover over it.
Eden
Growing Hen

Postby jm1 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:29

Eden wrote:did you fragment before partitioning the drive?

Nope. Why would there be any need? I don't give Vista much credit, but I assume that it's smart enough to repartition without screwing up any data.
Eden wrote:It is impossible, this 5th 94mb 'primary partition' is most likely just un-partitioned space, check with gparted it should say unallocated space when you click or hover over it.

The 94mb partition is GRUB's boot partition.
Despite the fact that Vista claims that the linux and boot partitions are both primary partitions, gparted says otherwise. Both are logical partitions on the extended partition created at the time of installation- which makes a whole lot more sense than 5 primarys. I don't know why Vista doesn't recognize them as being part of an extended partition...
Gparted doesn't recognize the Linux partition though- it thinks it's corrupted which it's not. Still can't figure out how to view files in the linux partition either :(

As for my original problem, it is fixed for the most part. Vista apparently needs some piece of it's own bootloader or something in the MBR to hibernate. I used the repair option from the Vista install disk to fix it and now it hibernates just fine. Strange thing is, I couldn't get the machine to boot from vista's bootloader despite changing the boot partition back over to the one on which Vista is installed on via gparted. Everything works fine now using GRUB, but it bothers me that I couldn't restore Vista's bootloader should I really need to.
jm1
Baby Hen

Postby Eden » Wed Sep 05, 2007 21:33

Put simply, you have way to much confidence into Microsoft's ability to write god programs.
Eden
Growing Hen

Postby redbullmonsta » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:51

Put simply, you have way to much confidence into Microsoft's ability to write god programs.

You cant knock MS programming ability to be fair, keep the thread objective :)

The problem you are having will be the same if you installed any other linux distro also - unles your carefull it will replace any existing bootloader with its own

The best idea is to work out (using grub or lilo) how all your partitions are named from the BIOS's perspective - add an entry for them and off you go :)

Redbull
Sabayon 3.4 | C2D@ 3.2ghz | Gigabyte DS3 rev.1 | 4GB OCZ Gold ddr2 | 1TB of JBOD SATAII's | GForce 8800GTX
redbullmonsta
Baby Hen

Postby anomalizer » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:09

Well, I've been running Vista and an x86_64 gentoo since Feb. No problems.

As far as partitioning goes, vista does internal partition much like the UFS i.e. fdisk will show one partition but vista can make that appear like multiple partitions.
anomalizer
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**