How to create a new article in the Sabayon Linux Wiki

Website news

How to create a new article in the Sabayon Linux Wiki

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Jun 13, 2009 15:03

Creating articles in the SL Wiki is not intuitive, is it? Here's how to do it if you want to create e.g. a new HowTo article:

1. First create a user account for yourself by clicking on 'Log in / create account'.

2. Log in to your Wiki user account.

3. Select any existing article. Let's use, for example, http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... th_Windows

4. In your Web browser's address box, change the URL to the name of the new article you wish to create. Use the underscore character to represent the space character, and "%2C" (without the quotation marks) to represent the comma character. For example, edit "http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Clock%2C_Time%2C_UTC%2C_Dual_boot_with_Windows" to be "http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Installing_a_new_splash_screen_or_console_background" (without the quotation marks). Then press Enter.

5. A new page will appear in your Web browser window with the URL you entered, and will show the title, for example "HOWTO: Installing a new splash screen or console background". It will also display the message "There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this page title in other pages or edit this page." Click on edit this page and edit the page as you wish. It should be obvious what to do from then on. Use the Show preview and Save page buttons at the bottom of the Editing page to preview the page you have edited and then save it. Don't forget to enter a note in the Summary box to explain what you have done. As you are creating a new article, I would suggest entering something along the lines of "Created the article on 29 September 2008." (without the quotation marks), but you can write whatever you want.

6. Then go to the index page (e.g. if you are creating a HowTo article, that would be http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=HOWTOs ) and click on the Edit tab.

7. In the appropriate section on the index page enter on a new line the reference to the new article you just wrote, using the special format (see the existing entries for an example of the format to use). For example:
*[[HOWTO: Installing a new splash screen or console background]]
Use the Show preview and Save page buttons at the bottom of the Editing page to preview the page you have edited and then save it. Don't forget to enter a note in the Summary box to explain what you have done. As you are adding a link to a new article, I would suggest entering something along the lines of "Added the article about installing a new splash screen or console background." (without the quotation marks), but you can write whatever you want.

:arrow: By the way, there are some guidelines in the Wiki on how you should format Code boxes, File boxes, Note boxes, warnings etc.: http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... Guidelines
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: How to create a new article in the Sabayon Linux Wiki

Postby Marius » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:47

Thank you, Fitzcarraldo, I found your post very timely as I was about to start working on an article «How to implement & switch keyboard layouts in various desktop environements?».

I spent so much time and effort on this question that I think my solution(s) may be of interest and assistance to Sabayon users who at least occasionally use, e.g., Xfce, Fluxbox, Openbox, or LXDE.
Marius
Simple Hen

Postby batvink » Thu Aug 16, 2012 18:11

When at the Wiki main page, i just enter the name of the page i wish to create in the searchbox., and hit enter.
If that page does not exist, you automatically get the ability to create that page....
http://i.imgur.com/dFdG2.png
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Postby batvink » Thu Aug 23, 2012 19:31

This article has been watched 35178 (!!!) times.
If each and one of you who watched this article, actually had worked on the Wiki,
it should be Huge by now., and up to date!!

So come on, guys....
Please pass on your knowledge. Don't be ashamed., don't hesitate.
If you have a great tip, or think you know how to solve something that others don't,
tweaks, howto's, anything which is not in the Wiki yet., please contribute......
We're allready a great community, but together we can make it even greater.,
remember: many hands make light work...
Thanks for your attention...
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Fri Nov 09, 2012 21:47

batvink wrote:If each and one of you who watched this article, actually had worked on the Wiki,
it should be Huge by now., and up to date!!

I'm on it. I'll translate the most important articles into German in the first shot.

Main problem to me, is, when I want to upload my work, I get Internal Server Error (500).
Even if I just add the de-Tag to the I18n Frameset on top of an article!

Beside that, the Wiki is spammed. Micia called Fitzcarraldo an "one-man-army", but I think, he would appreciate help.
I'd like to, but the bug is annoying ... I'm going to report this on Bugzilla now, too.
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby lxnay » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:32

Spammers have been killed and new users are manually activated by our staff.
Not all the spam pages have been removed yet, however if you want to help out maintaining the wiki, just let us know.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby hatalar205 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:28

lxnay wrote:Spammers have been killed and new users are manually activated by our staff.
Not all the spam pages have been removed yet, however if you want to help out maintaining the wiki, just let us know.

I am not spammer, but I have been also killed. My user account has been deleted. :(
Everything is your fault. Yes, I advised you but you did.
hatalar205
Simple Hen

Postby lxnay » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:22

Sorry, I had to use the chainsaw, just create it again! ;)
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby hatalar205 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:16

lxnay wrote:Sorry, I had to use the chainsaw, just create it again! ;)

No problem. I know how busy you are. So, this is quite normal. I have asked for a new one and am waiting for confirmation. I hope I can get my old username, "Hatalar205".
Everything is your fault. Yes, I advised you but you did.
hatalar205
Simple Hen

Postby lxnay » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:01

Your account has been activated.
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Next

Return to News