Updating Minecraft

A place where Linux Gamers can share their experience and help each other with Linux Games, native or emulated ;)

Moderator: Moderators

Updating Minecraft

Postby The Catboy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:09

I noticed they recently updated Minecraft (I've been working and haven't been online much all week.) So I started it up and waited for mine to update and nothing. It was still 1.5.2. So I hit the force update and still nothing, just 1.5.2.
So how do I update Minecraft? It's the minecraft from Rigo Application Browser.
The Catboy
Simple Hen

Re: Updating Minecraft

Postby Cb7 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 18:30

By 'they' who do you mean?
If by 'they' you mean people who created Minecraft, then updates are going wiht a flow of a stream - in Sabayon they have firstly travel through Gentoo Unstable branch, and (usually) if there are no incompatibile libs or other thing(s) it comes to Sabayon, it's compiled and waits for a while in sabayon-limbo (it's being tested), before it goes to sabayonlinux.org and later sabayon-weekly repos, from where you get your updates.

You probably just have to wait some time until it'll be available in normal way of getting updates.
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Postby The Catboy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:27

I am referring Mojang having updated their game.
Now reading the change log it appears I need to update the launcher to properly update this game. How do I go about updating the launcher in Sabayon?

I downloaded the native launcher from Minecraft.net for now and I am just going to use that for now. I guess they still need to update the launcher in the Repository.
The Catboy
Simple Hen

Postby Cb7 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:54

Launcher is located in /usr/share/minecraft/lib/minecraft.jar . If you want to 'update' it manually, make a backup of minecraft.jar and overwrite it with file proposed by Mojang.

I haven't done that, I just said that in a case that you want to try whether it would work, or not.
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Postby The Catboy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 14:45

I actually tried that last night and it doesn't even open up anymore. I use KDE and all it does it show it on my taskbar and have the little minecraft icon bouncing next to my cursor and then nothing. It doesn't load the launcher.
The Catboy
Simple Hen

Postby Cb7 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 16:52

You can run run 'minecraft' in terminal and see what kind of error occurs while launching.
Since Minecraft in Sabayon is configured to use libs that are given by distro, my guess is that newer version may not work with some of them.

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Postby The Catboy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 17:12

It runs from terminal just fine actually. I guess it might just be the Sabayon launcher.
The Catboy
Simple Hen

Return to The Gamers Shed