minecraft mod downloads minus the adware? [Solved]

A place where Linux Gamers can share their experience and help each other with Linux Games, native or emulated ;)

Moderator: Moderators

minecraft mod downloads minus the adware? [Solved]

Postby anomaly65 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 21:33

Hi all,

Really not a sabayon *specific* topic, but anyone know where/how to download a handful of popular mods for minecraft?

Seems like every download wants to install some version/variation of adware/malware/etc from various file hosting sites. Annoying to say the least, and I am hesitant to let any browser get tangled up with all that stuff.... :(

/rant
while I see why folks might like minecraft (the gameplay looks interesting), as a retired network/systems/services architect, kernel code writer, et al, I don't think I've seen a more popular, improperly written piece of software than minecraft (other than a popular OS we don't run here :) ). argh... :evil: Other than the 3d aspect of it, it reminds me of a user flexible version of a 1988 nintendo console, minus the smooth graphics (laugh intended!).
/offrant

I purchased a legit copy for a friend. Her kid loves to play it, and downloading mods wants to infest the machine if one wants to add any of a few dozen cool looking mods. Even on linux, first trick it pulls is a massive privilege escalation along with root ownership of a lot of files (blatant evidence of the unwarranted priv escalations). Not cool in my book.

Any hints or suggestions (or torrents) welcome 8) I ask here simply because the average linux user has an interest in security and proper code/privilege handling.....and tend to be a good bit smarter 8)

Thanks,
andy
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)
anomaly65
Technological Hen

Re: minecraft mod downloads minus the adware? [Solved]

Postby anomaly65 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:42

brute force solution:

setup windows (i.e. a copy you have a leftover license for where you should now have sabayon running!) install in virtualbox, watch the various websites trash it (e.g. disabled antivirus, you name it!), copy the mods to USB stick then dump the windows install. Ugly solution, but it worked :)

cheers,
andy
p.s. anyone modding minecraft.jar, make a copy of that file after each mod install in case you find one that's not too well written (that's easy!). saves a lot of do-over work. To make a friend's child happy, it was worth the big "thankyou!" :D
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)
anomaly65
Technological Hen

Postby anomaly65 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 21:55

best advice for friends who run MS windows, accidentally uninstall java and minecraft....

lesson learned. :)
--
anomaly65
Technological Hen

Postby Sylphidewings » Wed Mar 27, 2013 22:58

Hey guys, I have a better method to play modded minecraft that is ensured to work without all the ads and malware. In recent years minecraft players decided that modded minecraft is better therefore teams were formed to put together safe and effective modpacks with the best mods. One such group is the ever trusted feed the beast team, which can be found herehttp://www.feed-the-beast.com.
Sylphidewings
Baby Hen

Postby anomaly65 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:43

Wow, thanks so much. I know one young fellow who will be very pleased with this.

Many thanks!
andy
--
anomaly65
Technological Hen

Return to The Gamers Shed