Einstein game borks my system

A place where Linux Gamers can share their experience and help each other with Linux Games, native or emulated ;)

Moderator: Moderators

the_dan442
Baby Hen

Einstein game borks my system

Post by the_dan442 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:18

I have a fairly fresh install of Sabayon 5.4 64-bit on my computer, which is:
AMD Phenom II 940 Quad-core CPU
Asus M4A79 Deluxe motherboard, AMD 790 FX northbridge, AMD sb750 southbridge
ATI/AMD 4870 video card
8 gigs of DDR2 1066

After install and equo world update when I would launch the Einstein logic puzzle (which runs full screen) that I added from the repository it would kill my desktop effects until reboot. No biggie, just annoying. The game worked fine in Sabayon 4.2 and 5.0, so I figured an update would solve this eventually.

I just completed an update using sulfur, so I checked to see if Einstein would still kill desktop effects. When I shut down the game I am left with a black screen and the cursor. Alt+F(1-12) did nothing, nor did any other keyboard or mouse actions. I hit the reset button on the computer to reboot, everything seems fine now.

If anyone can tell me what log files to post or anything else I can do to help you to help me I will do so.

Thanks for looking, love the distro.
Dan

Edit:
I'm using KDE.

ocinu
Young Hen

Re: Einstein game borks my system

Post by ocinu » Mon Nov 08, 2010 17:36

I think this a upstream KDE problem, other users (http://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=22011) and myself have been experienced this kind of problems, i always tend to run games windowed to avoid it.
"Cuando era niño me dijeron que cualquiera podría llegar a ser presidente, ahora estoy empezando a creerlo."

ocinu
Young Hen

Post by ocinu » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:56

Another thing that could help is disabling the desktop effects before running a game in fullscreen, and activating them back after closing the game.
"Cuando era niño me dijeron que cualquiera podría llegar a ser presidente, ahora estoy empezando a creerlo."

the_dan442
Baby Hen

Post by the_dan442 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:20

ocinu,

Thanks for the heads up on the upstream KDE issue, probably the root of the problem.

Disabling effects before launching the game works, so I'll go with that until an update cures the problem.

Thanks for the replies,

Dan